Step Two

I waited until I got away from the house before I looked at it.

Meet me in an hour. Bring her with you. The lake at the end of the trail.

I wondered what he wanted, maybe just to meet her before we turn her. It was almost two when I got back to her dorm, so I sat on her bed and waited for her to get back. I was flipping through the channels on the TV when she walked in the door, smiling.

“Hello beautiful,” I said as she dropped her bag and walked towards the bed.

“Hi,” she said as she sat on the edge and looked at me. “So, how did things go?”

“Alright,” I smiled at her. “We have somewhere to be in 20 minutes, though,” I told her.

“Where’s that?”

“Well, I don’t know why, but Damon asked to meet us at the lake.”

“Oh, alright,” she smiled. “We can go whenever you want to.” I just smiled at her. I stood up and grabbed her hand as I pulled her out the door. We walked down the path to the lake and sat on the log. A while later, I heard footsteps and I knew it was Damon. He walked around in front of us and smiled. She stood up and pulled me with her. I could tell she was nervous, but I knew she didn’t have a reason to.

“You must be Jasmine,” he smiled at her as he stuck out his hand. She took it willingly and smiled back.

“You must be Damon,” she said. They shook hands and I pulled her back to me.

“So what is this about?” I asked.

“Nothing to worry about,” he smiled as we all sat on the log. He looked at me. “I wanted to tell you about a secret that I knew Stefan and Elena wouldn’t tell you about turning someone.”

“Go on,” I said, listening intently.

“If you two truly love each other, you should have each other’s blood in your systems when she turns. Meaning you drink her blood and she drinks yours. This will bond you together in a way that will be very hard to break. You will be able to know when something is wrong with the other, when the other is in trouble, you can sense the other’s fear and pain. You will be connected, as one. There are two ways to break the bond. The first way is if one of you dies. The only way to break that bond and both of you survive is a spell done by a very powerful witch using both people’s blood,” he explained as he watched both of us.

“Why wouldn’t they want to tell us that?” I asked.

“Because they know how difficult it is to break that bond. They each had to break it with other people because they wanted to be together. It was a difficult time for them,” he told us. I looked at Jasmine to see what her facial expression was.

“You alright?” I asked

“Yea,” she smiled. “I am. Thank you, Damon.” He nodded and kissed her hand before he left. I pulled her into a hug and kissed her cheek.

“We don’t have to do that,” I told her.

“Why not?”

“Because, what if you get tired of me?” I asked.

“I’ve loved you this long, I don’t think I ever would,” she laughed. The next day, she had one early class, so after it was over we went straight to their house. Elena led us to the kitchen where Damon was waiting. She and Stefan remained in the living room while we walked downstairs. Damon led us to the last room down a dark hallway and closed the door.

“You’re sure you are ready?” he asked Jasmine.

“Yes,” she said without hesitation. He smiled at her.

“You’re brave. I’ve never seen a person so willing to give up their life for this,” he said.

“You don’t know me, or my life,” she stated. He studied her for a minute before continuing.

“No drugs or alcohol in your system?” he questioned just to be sure.

“None,” she told him.

“Did you decide what way you wanted to do it?” he asked. I nodded and looked at her.

“You’re still sure?” I asked her. She smiled and nodded her head yes. “We want to make the bond,” I told him. He nodded and smiled.

“I thought you might,” he said. “Alright the easiest way to do this is to cut your wrist and let her drink from it while you drink from her wrist. Then we’ll take care of the other part after you do that.” I took my wrist and slid a fingernail across it, slicing the skin before I held it out to her. She took it without hesitation and put her lips around the cut, drinking just like she did last time. She held out her wrist to me and I slowly brought it up to my mouth as I bared my fangs and bit down against her skin, breaking the flesh and feeling her warm blood run into my mouth and down my throat. I saw Damon make a hand gesture out of the corner of my eye.

“That’s good enough,” he said. We pulled back and I wiped the corner of her mouth, making her giggle. “Now, for the tough part,” he said as he looked at me. “Now you have to kill her so she turns.”

“How?”

“Your choice. You can drain her, that takes the longest, or you could go the quick and easy way and just snap her neck really fast. Any way works as long as she dies,” he said looking between us.

“How do you want me to do it?” I asked her.

“Fast,” she said, again not hesitating.

“You’re sure? You want me to snap your neck?” I asked.

“Yes, it’s not like you mean it. It’s just something you have to do to get what we both want,” she smiled.

“Alright,” I said as I looked at Damon. “How do I do it?”

“Put a hand on either side of her face,” he said. I did as he asked me to. “Now, take all the force you have in you, all your strength and twist her head and fast and as far as you can.” I took a breath and looked at her.

“I love you,” I smiled at her.

“I love you too,” she said. “Now do it,” she laughed. I kissed her forehead and twisted my hands as hard and as fast as I could. I heard her bones break and I caught her body as she fell to the floor. I carried her over to the bed against the wall and laid her on it before I sat beside her.

“How long?” I asked Damon.

“It shouldn’t be long, no more than a couple hours. Do you want me to wait with you?” he asked.

“If you want to, I don’t want to ask you to do something you don’t want to do,” I told him as I held her hand in mine. Damon sat on the chair beside the bed and we talked as we waited on her to wake up. Thirty minutes after I had snapped her neck, I felt her move.  “She moved,” I told him.

“She’s waking up then,” he told me. “I’ll be back in a minute. We need to be sure that you are the first one she sees. I’ll be just down the hall,” he said as he stepped out of the room. I saw her eyes flutter and I smiled as she looked at me.

“Hello beautiful,” I said smiling as her eyes met mine.