CHAPTER #6

In the morning, Jake went back to Cassie's. He noticed the door open and found that very odd. He went inside, he saw no one, until Cassie came at him with an umbrella. She was suddenly nervous around him, then they noticed dirt on the floor. But it wasn't dirt, it was ash and salt. Jake ran to the front door and moved the mat aside. They found a circle of ash, the kind that restricts a witch's power. That's when they both knew that the witch hunters were in town.

"I've got to go to work. I'll clean this up later," Cassie said a little annoyed.

"Ya I have to go to the antique shop myself now, do you want a ride?"

"Okay, just give me a sec to get my stuff."

Cassie got her purse and they left. Jake parked by the shop and Cassie walked over to her new job. Adam was there waiting for her. He stuck around for a little bit, giving her tips. Then before he left, she told him about the witch hunter's leaving their mark. She saw Faye and Melissa at one of the booths. She ignored them and went into the kitchen for a fresh pot of coffee. It was a busy afternoon, she didn't have much time to think, except about customer orders.

When she left that evening, it felt like someone was following her. She thought she heard footsteps behind her, but when she turned around, no one was there. Cassie ran over to the antique shop, hoping that Jake was still there. She knew Adam was working at the Boathouse.

Cassie was breathless when she got to the shop. She saw Raiden first. "Hi, did you see anyone behind me when I came up the street?"

"Nope. You in a rush or something?" He asked, commenting on seeing her run over.

"I was hoping that Jake was still here, he gave me a ride to work on his way here. So I need a ride home too."

Jake came outside, "I just finished. Let's go, later Raiden."

As they drove away, Cassie mentioned she thought she was being followed, but that it was just a feeling. Jake told her to always trust her instincts, as they usually were right. He explained it was like intuition or a survival instinct, something almost primal that always protected. Most humans ignored that little voice, but witches counted on it. On the ride home he checked his mirrors frequently to make sure no one was following them. He dropped her off and then drove away.

Cassie just got in, when she saw a man standing at her front door. She opened the door and he came in the house. He introduced himself as John Blackwell, her father. He was going to tell her more, but Adam pulled up outside. Her father told her to keep his visit secret, telling her to meet him later and then left. But Adam knew something was wrong when he came in and Cassie told him what happened. Adam didn't want her to go, but she just had to know more about her father.

So later that night, Cassie took her car to meet her father. She was totally disappointed to find out he hadn't come for her, he had come for the medallion. In tears she ran away from him and got back into her car. Adam had been right and now she wished her father had stayed gone. Seconds later, hands covered her face and a witch hunter had her. Eben chloroformed her. Cassie passed out. When she came to again, she was tied down and Eben was talking about killing her.

Jake knew something was wrong, he had this feeling that Cassie was in trouble. He went looking for her, when she wasn't home and didn't answer her cell phone. He knew she wasn't with Adam, as he had gone by there too. So he went to the abandoned house, hoping she was there.

"Cassie? Cassie!" Jake called out. Instead he saw a man in the house, "who are you?"

John Blackwell pinned Jake against the wall, asking why Jake was looking for Cassie. "I'm her father, why are you looking for her?"

Jake explained about the witch hunters and that Cassie seemed to be missing. He was a little scared of Cassie's father, but at the same time he was angry that the man was delaying his attempt at finding her. He told John Blackwell to look at the Boathouse for Cassie. Her father left and Jake knew he had to go to the docks where the witch hunters liked to take witches. When he got there, he expected to find Isaac, but found Eben instead.

Jake saw Cassie tied up and tried to attack, "What are you doing? Let Cassie go!"

Eben's helpers grabbed Jake. Knowing he was about to die too, Jake made a deal with the head witch hunter and told him that John Blackwell was in town. They would trade Cassie for her father. Jake was released and he went to find John Blackwell. He found him at the Boathouse and brought him to the forest for the exchange.

What Jake didn't know was that Eben put a spell on Cassie, so he could control her. Eben wanted to kill Jake, as he knew too much about the hunters. Jake also had strong magic and he had too much knowledge about spells and the craft. "The deal has changed. I will give Cassie to Blackwell, but you are to come with me Jake."

"I will go with you, just release Cassie." Jake said.

Cassie realized Jake was going to sacrifice himself, she didn't want to leave him behind. But Eben controlled her and made her leave with her father. They handcuffed Jake with shackles. The cuffs had spikes that drew blood as they dug into him. These witch hunters liked to be sadistic and torture, not just kill their victims. Jake was scared, but he was glad Cassie was safe. He tried not to show his fear, instead he projected anger and hate.

"We had a deal, I've helped you!" Jake said, trying to buy time. He had to figure out how to get away.

Eben said, "you've become a pain in my ass. Cassie will kill her father for me. I don't need you anymore."

Jake was pushed to his knees and Eben got ready to slice his throat with the same tool that he had used on Jake's father. But Adam, Melissa, Faye and Diana arrived in time to save him. Jake was surprised and now he owed them one. After releasing Jake from the shackles, they ran to find Cassie. They heard her voice and saw a fire blazing. When they arrived, she was in the process of controlling a fire that would kill her father.

Jake grabbed Melissa's hand and said, "everyone link up, she's under a spell."

They chanted, with Cassie just saying the words. At last the power of the circle freed Cassie from Eben's will and they saved her father. Visibly distraught, Cassie went into Adam's waiting arms. Everyone was relieved, but wanted to get out of there fast, just incase the witch hunters came back.

Cassie turned to her friends when they got back to their cars. "I need to talk to my father. Thank you, all of you, for saving me." Then her father drove away with her.

Faye looked at Jake, who was trying to not show how scared he had just been. "Are you coming with us, we're going to the house."

"No, but I owe you guys. I think I should go home, clean up my wrists. I don't want to have to get a tetanus shot due to the rusty cuffs." He joked feebly.

Disgusted, Adam said, "run away like usual. Let's go."

Jake said nothing and watched them go. He drove home, wondering why he stayed in this town, why he cared about a circle that didn't want him. As he parked, he looked at the house beside his. It was because of Cassie. That's why he stayed, that's why he was done running. Her compassion, strength, determination, all of the things that he admired about her coupled with magic. She was beautiful and fierce all at the same time. Her naivete intrigued him as much as it made him want to protect her.

"Damn it, I can't be falling in love with a girl meant to be with another." Jake swore to himself.

He unlocked his house and went inside. He was glad that his aunt had decided that she wasn't ready yet to come back. Her grief over Nick's death, allowed him to remain on his own a little longer. He had gotten use to taking care of himself, but that seemed to be changing, whether he liked it or not. Jake went upstairs and cleaned his wrists. Tonight had been a close call. But knowing Eben, a shit storm was just about to come. The witch hunters weren't done with Chance Harbour yet.