Chapter 20 - Affectionate Se Ri?

‘Winter 2018. Jeju Hospital.’

What exactly happened that time? Another victim? Criminal injured? I crumple the piece of paper an anonymous informant sent to Detective Pyo. For the past three years, the “Grim Ripper Murder” has spread scare in the regions but with the appearance of a mysterious informant a year ago, who claimed that he knows the killer, the case has been moving faster now. 

So far, the leads sent by the unnamed informant were all true and worthy to trust. Just how this person know all about this? There’s only two answers; either he is close with the serial killer or he is the serial killer himself. Just how long will we trust their informant? For now, there is no other choice but to do that.

Breaking me away from my trance, Se Ri came back after helping Dr. Gu in the record he was looking for. She contemplated for a second as to where to settle and decided to sit farther away from the spot she was sitting a while ago. Obviously because of me. Her presence distracted my thoughts and I regretted her being a part of this case. 

Hours passed by and it was time to go. I think she’s too serious about pretending not to know me that she even ignored me outside the hospital, walked towards Soo Hyun who then invited her to a welcome party which she agreed to join and meanwhile, I have to decline. 

Which I regret right now...

“Alright, I’ll just bring my car in front. Wait for me here.”

Wait, what? Dr. Gu is coming? I look at Soo Hyun who looks so giddy about the party and then at Se Ri whose back is in front of me. I badly want to see her reaction, but ever since we occupied the elevator down, she has had her face turn away from me and maintain a distance.

I try to clear my throat to get their attention and Se Ri turns her head to me.

“Uhm,” I couldn’t find the right words to say. I want to tell her not to go but that is very irrational for me to say. I can tell them that I’ve changed my mind and I’ll come with them but that will make me look so fickle-minded.

Se Ri raises her eyebrow waiting for me to speak. We have grown so conscious of each other’s body languages after days of living together in one house.

“Ladies, what are you still doing here?”

Ms. Seo Dan walks towards our direction, she stops to give me a short smile when she notices me then quickly shifts her eyes back to Soo Hyun and the others.

“We are waiting for Dr. Gu, Ms. Seo,” Soo Hyun replies.

“Seung Jun? Why?” The inflection in her voice changes from cold to sudden interest upon hearing his name. And the fact that she used his first name suggests something.

“We will be having a welcome party for Se Ri, Ms. Seo. And it’s his treat.”

“Oh... wow... fantastic,” she replies in a rather sarcastic voice, or maybe, it is her usual way of speaking. She pauses for a second then suddenly her eyes brighten and turns to me.

“Ah!... Dr. Ri! You are also new here, why don’t we join them too. It’s a welcome party after all.”

Saved! I don’t know her motive but the suggestion is very much in favor of me.

“He said he’s not-”

“How can I decline you, Ms. Seo. Well, I have nothing to do anyway so why not.”

I glance at Se Ri who can’t finish her sentence, her face surprised with my sudden change of mind. An exact opposite of the lady beside her.

“Yes! Dr. Ri is coming!” yells Soo Hyun with glee.