Chapter 28 - A Request

The disturbed expression on Jeong Hyeok's face when he left a while ago makes me unusually worried. I've never seen him look so agitated, that he escaped the scene as quickly as possible when I received another company.

"Eonnie, don't we look good together? Jeong Hyeok-oppa and I."

Breaking me from my thoughts, I turn to Yoona who is still clinging tightly to my arm ever since she arrived. The night is getting deep and every street we turn to is peacefully quiet.

One of Yoona's eyebrows is slightly raised, her eyes glint with expectations, and her lips curve in a confident smile. A countenance anyone won't dare to disprove. Escaping her stare, I look ahead at where the light of my flashlight lands on and act like I am considering the matter favorably.

"Oh- of course- yes. You look good together."

"Really?!"

Her tone carries the soft expression of an appeased child and I slowly nod. It isn't really a question on her part.

"-Yet... he left without even acknowledging me," she says while pouting.

"Actually, he just passed by. He's not supposed to be he-"

Stopping when a thought crosses my mind, I turn to her and ask if there's something that happened between them. It might be a reason why Jeong Hyeok left hurriedly as soon as they appeared.

"Hmmm... none," she replies but ponders over it. Tilting her head slightly as if viewing things from a new angle.

"-Unless he feels bad when he did not show up as my escort in the High School festival before."

Hmmm... this is probably not the reason though. If I'm not mistaken, Jeong Hyeok did not even remember that when Yoona's mother mentioned it before.

"But that was a long time ago and I wasn't mad about it," she continues.

"I would be upset if I were in your place too, but I guess there might be a reason why he didn't make it."

"But he should have at least talked to me and apologized!" she says in a slightly raised voice.

"Oh- I thought you said you are not mad already."

Yoona sighs and we continue to walk.

"You see, I like Jeong Hyeok oppa since high school... I always cheered for him in every basketball game he's into, even if my brother was on the opposing team." Oh, maybe why Joon Hee looks indifferent, "-Every day, I put chocolates in his locker. Every day I stopped by his room so I could greet him. Every valentine, I made sure to give him a letter. I did that religiously."

"That-... that's incredible."

Yes, incredible. First love is incredible, I know. Reminds me of my high school friends swooning so bad whenever they caught their crushes looking at them, which were just a passing glance, obviously. Their admiration never bore fruit.

"Yes, but he didn't look at me even once. Hah, it's alright,"

She laughs a humorless scoff, her eyes betraying her emotions. A cue for me to try comforting her.

"You know what, Jeong Hyeok is not the affectionate type. He could be so straightforward and very unassuming. So focused on his work. With your beauty, I know that there are a lot of guys who will fall for you, Yoona. Someone who can reciprocate your affection."

"But I only want Jeong Hyeok-oppa!"

The abrupt release of her hand in my arm surprises me. The firmness and finality in her tone made me turn to her inquisitively from what she just declared.