Chapter 30 - Village Party

"I don't have any idea what exactly we are looking at here."

Officer Pyo Chi Su flips another page of the paper while shaking his head. Earnest to catch any interesting information from the list of patients in Jeju Hospital at the time specified by the informant.

"The fifth victim in Spring 2019 was in the month of April. Could it be something related to that?"

Not lifting his head while asking, Officer Kwang Beom wears the same placid face he always has, meticulously studying his part of the list. They divided the list among themselves.

"Hm," Officer Pyo mouths as he nods, "I just wonder how accurate the informant's tips are that the top officials believe in whatever he says. We all know that the fifth murder already occurred here two years ago, how come that the last murder will happen here again?"

He looks at me full of queries and continues, "Besides, the serial killer is a megalomaniac who wants to spread terror in the whole country, wouldn't it be more reasonable to choose the north he hasn't terrorized yet?"

"Don't worry, they have heightened the alert in the three remaining provinces too. For now, our main objective is to know what the list is for and to identify the informant."

"How about the serial killer?" Officer Eun Dong asks, a great concern evident on his face.

"It's two birds in one stone, pal," Officer Pyo says.

Indeed. If we find out who the informant is we will be one step closer to the serial killer, or maybe even face to face with him.

I steer my seat to my left where Officer Ju Meok is busy highlighting information on his list.

"How's yours, Officer Ju Meok?"

"Se Ri noona did a good job in getting the needed information. Everything is complete down to the notes, I'll check any suspicious patient," he replies.

"It's her only job anyways, she really should do better," Officer Pyo remarks with an eyebrow lifted up. As always, he likes antagonizing Se Ri.

"But- why is Se Ri noona not here by the way?"

Officer Eun Dong looks around and settles his gaze at me.

"She did something last night, she's probably tired."

"Ey! Even if she's tired, she should come to the meeting! She's not paid to lax around," says Officer Pyo, his mouth sticking out more than usual.

"Well, I did not tell her about the meeting," I reply flatly. Earning surprised looks from them.

"Ooooh! That's what I'm talking about. Seoul Detective Lover just like in movies!" exclaims Ju Meok with a spark in his eyes.

I feel my cheeks turn warm suddenly, "That's not it," I deny vehemently in order to hide my reaction.

"You don't have to hide it, Detective Ri," he continues teasing until I glare at him.

"She patrolled last night and even caught a violator," I say, feeling the need to defend myself in what they are thinking right now.

"Tch!" Officer Pyo says, but his expression softens and he mumbles, "She should take care of herself, Aigoo, that woman."

Cold as he wants to appear, I know that he has a heart for his colleagues.

"Alright, I guess that's it for today. Call me if you got any information," I say. It's already quarter to seven.

Officer Pyo put the papers back on his envelope and stretches his shoulders. "Where should we have dinner tonight?" he asks.