Chapter 21 - Drunk

“Aigoo! You sing so well!” 

I remark while I stare tenderly at Dr. Gu, whose voice complements the room that is turning warmer and cozier for me. I can feel the warm rush inside my cheeks after the last shot of soju I took, the world seems like it is sort of wrapped in a cotton. Everything suddenly seems a bit softer. Everyone suddenly seems fluffy and cuddly.

Like a baby.

“Sister will give you a kiss on the cheek,” I hear myself saying. My own voice appears like it came from a distance, like I’m sitting inside myself listening to myself, but it isn’t really me actually speaking.

Standing up, I feel kinda lightheaded, as if the ground is moving below me.

‘Stop ground, please!’

I force myself to take a step and walk towards him. The cute big baby with a voice that can calm an ocean deserves a treat, I say.

But before I can reach him, darkness fills the room. As if the blurry vision I’m having is not enough there’s...

... a sudden black out.

“Aaaah!”

A faint sound is heard, most probably coming from my colleagues. To be honest, the sounds around me sort of diminish a little.My hands and feet are moving as if I’m asleep, I can’t feel them. Unable to see and my feet wobbly for feeling so light, I feel like falling deep into an abyss, just when something hops beside me and two solid arms, like armchairs, support me from behind. 

Those same arms assist me until I plop down in my own accord back in a soft place where I belong to be. I can feel the slight touch of breath in my cheeks coming from the stranger as he tries to adjust my head on the headrest. Oh, sweet human! A baby!

Very much deserving of a sweet treat! Then I reached out to him.

* * *

Se Ri and the other ladies have their hands on each other’s back, singing altogether while walking in an unstable manner. It is a relief because they are supporting each other in the process, still, I opted to walk behind Se Ri just in case.

Not singing along, her head is a bit tilted to the side and her shoulders drooped. Only shows that she’s already tired and any time she will pass out. I badly want to snatch her bag from her shoulder, yet I don’t want to create any suspicion.

“By the way, where will I drop you off?”

Ms. Seo Dan glances at Dr. Gu who has just spoken, her eyes squinting in a pique way when he turns to the ladies.

“Oh, no need, Dr. Gu! We can manage it. I think you better get going now,” Soo Hyun replies. Among the four of them who dunk a lot, she seems to have a strong tolerance for alcohol.

It is evident that Soo Hyun knows something about the two as she sneaks a peek at Ms. Seo Dan, who is looking at her menacingly, relaying a threat through her stare. Understanding what Soo Hyun meant, he retreats and has walked a few steps already when he turns around again as if he forgot to say something.

“How about Se Ri? I think she’s a bit drunk. Do you know where she lives?”

“Oh! I don’t-”

“I know.”

I suddenly had the urge to speak up, and now they are all looking at me astounded with my revelation, except the tipsy ones including Se Ri of course. So much about not creating suspicion. They turn to me at the same time as if I have announced a hold-up.

“We- we live... near each other.”

I felt the need to explain further when none of them reacted.