Four

Hey again, readers! Wow! I can't believe this is the final chapter already. Where did the time go? Thanks to all your (the readers) involvement, you have chosen your own ending! I had so much fun with this, and I hope you did, too! Option #2 won the majority. August and Briar will go on their date with no interruptions!

August

"Two medium Salted Caramel Cold Brew Coffees," I tell the cashier.

The spacious restaurant smells of freshly brewed coffee. The tiled floor is pristine, reflecting the ambient lighting above. My eyes soak up every detail, including the donuts on the display.

"And a ten-pack of Timbits," I add. "Please."

I can't resist. Perhaps we could have a mini picnic beside the lake. There's a grassy area next to the dolphins fountain. We could dip our toes in the water and talk. Hang out.

After I've paid for our Timbits and drinks, I lean against the wall while I wait. Isabelle told me it's always good to be early and buy the drinks. It makes a good first impression.

With my lack of dating skills, I need all the help I can get.

Let's hope it doesn't backfire.

As soon as I receive my order, I exit the restaurant. Outside, I'm greeted by a soft breeze coming from the lake. Downtown Kelowna is busy this evening, bustling with different groups strolling down Bernard Avenue. Chatter fills the air, as well as music flittering from the speakers outside the buildings. They're connected to local radio stations. I recognize the voice of the radio host.

I sit on a stone bench, setting the drinks and Timbits down beside me. Something tells me I should wait for Briar before enjoying my Salted Caramel. But I'm a fanatic. I can't help myself.

Picking the drink up, I take a couple of sips, counting the seconds as they pass by. Feeling anxious is normal. But I shouldn't be this anxious. I'm early. It's unfair of my mind to react this way when it logically makes little sense.

With an audible sigh, I glance at the surrounding area. Nothing's changed. Groups continue to saunter down the sidewalk, their shadows dancing in the streetlights.

Then my eye catches something odd.

It's Briar. Stepping out of Tim Hortons. I must've missed her while I was sitting down.

She has a drink tray in her hands.

Two Salted Caramel Cold Brews.

As if she can feel my eyes on her, her gaze finds mine. She smiles, but that smile fades when she sees the drinks and Timbits beside me. She glances at the drink tray in her hands, shrugs, and then saunters over to me.

Tonight, her hair is tied up in a crown braid. She's wearing leggings with a lace bralette and a ripped jean jacket. Her converse shoes are scuffed. The glasses I returned to her rest on the bridge of her nose.

When she's standing in front of me, she chuckles. "Perhaps we should've exchanged numbers."

I flash her a grin. "May have been a good idea."

She chuckles. "How are you?"

"Nervous," I admit. Honesty is a key factor in building relationships—and nurturing them.

Briar tucks a strand of her caramel-coloured hair behind her ear. "You're not the only one. Let's embrace it."

"Sounds like a plan." My voice is strained. Not as bad as before. At least we're both nervous. That makes things easier. "Should we get going?"