9- Rafe

We went back to the mansion and walked inside. People fist bumped JJ and handed us drinks. JJ handed me a drink.

"What is this?" I asked looking down in the cup.

"Water," He said. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I don't believe you," I said. He stared at me and grinned. His blonde hair gently set over his eyes. I took a sip and identified the liquid as water.

"I can be an ass but I don't lie," He said walking towards the backyard. I smirked and followed Kie outside. We sat over the edge of the pier and let our feet swing in the water.

"So, JJ seems to think you're okay, and that's a lot coming from him," Kie said taking a sip of her drink.

"Yeah I'm surprised he hasn't drowned me by now." I said chuckling.

"How long have you and Sarah been friends?" she asked looking over at me. I stared out at the moon against the waves.

"8 years I think?" I said looking back up at her. Her smile slowly dropped.

"Sarah and I were best friends, freshman year," Kie said tucking her wavy hair behind her ear. I tilted my head and processed her words.

"I didn't even know," I said looking down.

"She didn't like that I only cared about grades and animals, she wanted more, parties and boys and fun, so we got in a fight and our friendship just, ended," she said.

"Shit," I said. She slowly nodded. I watch a tear form in her eye.

"Well I'm gonna go refill my drink," I said standing up and walking towards the house.

"You liar," a voice said behind me. I quickly flipped around as Rafe stood there. I looked as his hand twitched and his eyes filled with tears.

"Rafe?" I asked. He was high out of his mind.

"You said you wouldn't go to the party Lexi," he said pursing his lips. I shut my eyes and took a breath.

"Rafe we aren't together, you don't tell me what to do," I said noticing him slowly stepping closer.

"I LOVED YOU!" He screamed. I looked around at peoples worried expressions. I flinched at his tone and felt my heartbeat speed up.

"Rafe, you don't fucking own me," I said. His frown turned into an angry expression. He quickly lunged towards me. I flinched as I dropped my cup. A familiar figure stepped in the way and slammed him back. I watched Rafe stumble back and cough. As I looked forward JJ stood there. His cap backwards and tilted.

"Fuck you Cameron," JJ said towering over Rafe. Rafe slowly stood up and grinned. I cursed as Rafe tackled JJ into the pool. I ran my hands through my hair as my mind raced.

"Rafe stop!" I yelled as they tackled each other in the pool. I listened in horror as they took turns gasping for air. Kie ran over next to me.

"Fuck," she said panicking. Without a thought I jumped into the pool and swam over to them. I yelled as water soaked my clothes. I used all my strength to pull them apart.

"Rafe stop!" I yelled pushing him back. Finally they let go as Kie dragged JJ out of the pool. Rafe and I stood in the pool. Blood stained his lip and down from his nose.

"Rafe, you're psychotic," I whispered and turned around getting out of the pool. JJ stared at him as we walked around towards the front. As we got in the car a loud yell erupted from the backyard. I pulled out of the driveway and down the road. We sat in silence for a minute before I slammed on the brakes on an empty road. I flipped around and stared at JJ.

"What the fuck was that!?" I screamed.

"I was protecting you," he replied angrily. I scoffed and slammed on the pedal. When we reached the chateau I stormed inside. Pope sat on the porch and questioned me as I marched inside.

"Kie what the hell happened?!" Pope questioned as JJ and I stormed into to different rooms. I stared at the door connecting our rooms I picked up a brush and threw it at the door.

"You wanna throw shit?! I can throw shit too!" JJ yelled from the other room. I listened as a loud bang hit the door. I rolled my eyes and layer down. I stared at the ceiling and looked at the clock. 11:36 PM. I sighed and stared at the ceiling for a little while. I changed into comfier clothes. I stared at the ceiling some more. I looked at the clock 2:17 PM. I walked over to the door separating JJ and I's rooms. I slowly slid down the door and sobbed as quietly as I could.

"Lexi?" A voice asked from behind the door. I sighed as I recognized JJ's voice.

"What?" I asked bluntly.

"How long have you and Rafe been, you know?" JJ asked.

"None of your damn business," I said rolling my eyes.

"Lexi you deserve better," JJ said.

"Just call me Lex," I said quietly.

"Lex can you open the door?" he asked quietly. Slowly I stood up and placed my hand on the handle. I slowly opened the door and behind it was JJ's figure outlined by the moonlight.

"Hi JJ," I whispered.

"Hey Lex," he said quietly. I watched as he slowly stepped closer to me.

"I don't know what he told you, but he doesn't love you, that isn't love," JJ said looking me in the eye. I pursed my lips as tears escaped my eyes. I looked down as I took deep breaths trying to contain myself. JJ stepped closer and pulled me in for a hug.

"Sorry," he whispered.

"Promise that you'll never go near him again," JJ whispered his eyes meeting mine. All I could see was his outline and the glimmer in his eyes. I knew I couldn't keep that promise.

"I promise," I said lying. I listened to thunder whip through the sky and the sound of the harsh rain pouring down outside. We stared deep into each other's eyes. My heart racing as butterflies formed in my stomach. As our faces grew closer we leaned in. I could feel his breath on my skin. Before our lips met I tilted my head down sighing.

"I can't, I just need to talk to Rafe, I feel like I need to, I don't know," I said running my hands through my hair. JJ nodded slowly. I looked back up in his eyes. He pulled me in for a hug and placed his mouth near my ear.

"If he ever touches you again, i'll kill him," He whispered in my ear.