1. Welcome to Berk

I sighed as I wrote in my journal. 'So this is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery. My home? No. But Dad says we're not leaving so it is my village now. Berk is, in a word, sturdy. Apparently it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is brand new. There's fishing, hunting, sheep farming, and a charming view of the sunsets. So far the only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have dragons. Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have... stubbornness issues. Especially my father.

'My name is Mouse Honeyknot Taylor. Great name, I know. But, it's not the worst. I'm not Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III, the chief's son. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

'Anyway, I work fire brigade here on Berk and one day, I'll publish this book... If it doesn't go up in flames like the last three.'

I closed my book at the sound of a Dragon alarm.

~~~

I, bow on my back, walked with the older teens on my fire brigade in the Dragon Training Arena for the first day of the fight training my Dad forced me into. While I was forced to train with the other teens, my dad got to go dragon hunting with the chief. That sounded like way more fun.

"Welcome to Dragon Training!" Gobber, the black smith with an interchangeable hand, welcomed us.

"No turning back," Astrid said

"I hope I get some serious burns!" Tuffnutt said with a smile.

Ruffnut agreed. "I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back."

"Yeah," I shrugged boredly, "it's only fun if you get a scar out of it."

Hiccup joined us, standing beside me. "Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it."

Tuffnut looked at Hiccup. "Oh, great. Who let him in?"

"Let's get started!" Gobber said. "The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village."

Snotlout chuckled. "Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him or-?"

We laughed. A night fury. No one knew what they even looked like, let alone believing this twig's story about killing one. Despite my miniscule size for my age, I was at least capable of shooting something. Hiccup couldn't even throw a bolo.

"Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" Tuff asked.

"Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight!" Gobbler introduced the dragons. "The Deadly Nadder!"

Fishlegs elaborated. "Speed: eight; Armor: sixteen."

"The Hideous Zippleback!"

"Plus eleven stealth times two."

"The Monstrous Nightmare!"

"Firepower: fifteen."

"The Timberjack."

"Speed 12, Stealth 13."