62 : Wedding 💚

I stared at the mirror and I couldn't help but smile. Mama Valka had braided ribbons into my long braids for me.

"Are you nervous?" Valka asked as she put a golden circlet around my head.

"A little," I said, staring at my mother's betrothal necklace under my furs.

"Don't be, dear," Mama Valka said to me in the mirror with a hand on my shoulder. She kissed the top of my head.

"There's... there's so many in Valhalla..." I set my hand on hers. "I miss them so, Mama Valka..."

"Everyone would be so proud of you." Valka said. "You've done so much for everyone and achieved so much for yourself. You've survived loss and celebrated happiness. You've protected your friends and family from dragon hunters. You've trained more than one amazing dragon... and one hard headed young man."

I chuckled. "The dragons were easier."

"They always are," Mama Valka laughed. "Now stand up and let's get your dress straightened, dear."

I stood as a knock came at the door.

"Who is it?" Valka asked, making sure it wasn't Snotlout.

"King Dagur and Chieftess Heather," Dagur called back in a bragging tone. "We come bearing gifts for the bride!"

I smiled and nodded to Valka.

Valka opened the door. "Mouse has allowed you in."

"Don't be so formal, Mama Valka," I scolded. "These two are my family." I hugged Dagur and Heather.

"You look beautiful, Mouse," Heather said with a smile. "I'm so glad you went with a Berkians dress. It suits you."

"I think so," I said, showing off the white dress. I touched the fur-lined purple half cape-hood. "Purple is expensive and I don't come with much."

"More than you think," Dagur said. "Your gift! I'm giving you a house on Berserker! The one your family lived in. And a place on Defenders of the Wing Island from Mala! Your dowery just tripled!" Dagur laughed happily. "Boom!"

"Dagur, that's..." I laughed. "It's too much."

"Not for you, cousin." Dagur saluted me. "Not for Mouse the Dragon, the Valkyrie of Berk."

"And while Dagur's gift is bigger than mine," Heather smiled, "I think you'll like mine more." She reached out the door.

I looked at Valka who looked as surprised as me.

Heather brought in two frames, the paintings facing away from me. "Now I know it can be hard to think about with all that has happened recently but..." She held out the first painting to me. "They have to return when the wedding is done but I thought you'd want them here."

I turned the painting around. "Dad..." I smiled with tears in my eyes.