58: Funeral

Stoick's funeral ship drifted out to sea. "May the Valkyries welcome you, and lead you through Odin's great battlefield." Gobber handed Hiccup a bow. "May they sing your name with love and fury, so that we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla... and know that you've taken your rightful place at the table of kings." I handed Hiccup an arrow from my quiver and he used inferno to light it. "For a great man has fallen. A warrior. A chieftain. A father. A friend."

Hiccup took a second arrow from my quiver and lit it. He held it out to me silently. I wiped my face and took the flaming arrow. I pulled the arrow back on my bow in unison with Hiccup.

I swallowed hard before we both released our flaming arrows

I swallowed hard before we both released our flaming arrows. As our arrows hit the ship, a line of flaming arrows flew through the air behind us and hit the ship.

"I'm sorry, Dad." All of us wiped away tears as Hiccup spoke. "I'm not the chief that you wanted me to be. And I'm not the peacekeeper I thought I was. I don't know..."

"You came early into this world." Mama Valka set a hand on her son's face. "You were such a wee thing. So frail, so fragile. I feared you wouldn't make it. But your father... he never doubted. He always said you'd become the strongest of them all. And he was right. You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon. Only you can bring our worlds together. That is who you are, son."

Snotlout stepped up beside me. "You know what he thought of you, right?" He whispered to me. "How much he loved you like his own?"

I crossed my arms over my stomach and nodded. I lifted only one hand to speak, leaving the other on my stomach. "I know." I replaced my hand and leaned into my fiancé.

Snotlout whispered something inaudible under his breath and put his arm around me.

"I was so afraid of becoming my dad," Hiccup said sadly. "Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great? That brave? That selfless? I guess you can only try." Hiccup looked at all of us and clenched his fists. Hiccup's sadness became a fierce determination. "A chief protects his own. We're going back."

"Uh, with what?" Tuff nut asked.

"He took all the dragons," Ruffnut pointed out.

Hiccup smiled. "Not all of them."