chapter 15

cries because i love the 5sos cover of 'i miss you' so much ;___; (also, i feel like the song goes good with this chapter tbh!)

--

january 25th

it was calum's birthday. he heard from ashton only twice in that month, and neither days had been recent. calum laid on his living room floor as michael, who's hair was now bleached blonde, and luke, who didn't bother to quiff his hair today as it was in a beanie, sprawled against the couch together.

"calum, i'm sorry." luke's voice broke through the silence, using one of his long legs to nudge calum's back. "he's probably busy. i'm sure he'll get ahold of you somehow."

"but what if he doesn't?" the boy on the floor's voice cracked, startling the couple. calum whipped his head around so he could look at them. tears stained his cheeks, and he had bags under his eyes. "what if he's too busy falling in love with someone else?"

michael was about to argue about "the way ashton looks at him so lovingly proves otherwise", but luke calmly stopped him. "... we'll just have to wait it out. how about we take you to dinner? it's your nineteenth, after all."

sighing softly, calum finally nodded. slowly, he pulled himself up, dragging himself up the stairs and to his bedroom. as he dressed, he heard the doorbell ring. he threw on a grey jacket and ran downstairs to answer.

"delivery for calum hood."

calum's eyes widened. in front of him stood niall's smiling face, his husband, zayn, standing behind him.

"ashton told us it was your birthday." niall continued, smile only growing on his pink face. he handed calum the all too familiar bouquet of roses, along with a letter and a giant stuffed dog. he looked at the little sign in the bouquet: "to my little pup!"

calum let out a small laugh as zayn and niall stepped forward, simultaneously planting a kiss to either of the new zealander's cheeks. "that was from him too." niall mentioned, placing the gift in calum's arms. "by the way, do not open the note until you're heading off to bed."

"why-"

"trust us." zayn interrupted, and the two left calum on the porch.

-

after a dinner that calum admitted he really needed, he had michael drop him off at home. settling under his heavy bedsheets, he began to open the letter.

it was all too much for him. the familiar perfume scent of ashton (was it possible for paper to smell like someone?), the cute floral stationary with blue ink scribbled across it. it started with "dearest calum," just like the last one. small teardrops fell on the paper as he read it.

"i miss you so much. i can't stop thinking about you. if i could be completely honest, you're the only reason i can make it day after day without jumping out of my window (if only i could fit through that small thing, haha)

wow, that was depressing.

happy birthday! you big boy you! i don't care how much you keep growing, you're my little pup because you look like one! :D i know it's been hard for you. trust me, i know. luke and michael call me every once in a while, and niall and zayn as well. it's really hard living in new york; everyone moves too fast. well, i'm not fast enough for this lifestyle. i really miss santa cruz...

but enough of me! i hope you enjoy your roses! i thought it would be cute! :) on another note, i feel incredibly bad... i haven't spoken to you since, what, the 7th? if you ask me, that's far too long!