Love is not Late

"You want me to do what?" Shravan Malhotra asked his father incredulously.

"Get married Shravan." Ramnath Malhotra replied impatiently.

"A business marriage, Papa? Come on, it's the 21st century! Who does that any more?"

"It's not like you didn't know this was coming Shravan. You are 29. It's high time you get settled." His father pointed out with a raised brow.

"Yes but.... "

"I don't have time for this Shravan." Ramnath Malhotra waved his hand dismissively."The girl's name is Suman Tiwari and her picture has already been forwarded to you. You'll be meeting her at the Golden Stag tomorrow at 7. I expect you to be on your best behavior."

Shravan sighed pondering about this new curveball that life had thrown his way.

Suman Tiwari had always been cynical about love, marriage, happily ever afters, and any and everything along those lines. Perhaps it was her parents' failed marriage or her disappointment in every man in her life, her father not excluded. She knew that as the sole heiress of a conglomerate she would be expected to marry into an equally rich family. It was purely business, love having nothing to do with it.

She had quickly outgrown her silly childhood dreams of a Prince Charming, not like her parents' bleak marriage left her with any reason to hope for otherwise. Their marriage was cold, distant, and formal. Her father had always been dismissive of her mother; never respected her or treated her as an equal. He was more invested in his business than his family. Her mother was only a glorified arm candy to him but she had borne it all with a fake smile on her face. She had never complained, only cried in seclusion where no one could see her tears. Perhaps her disappointment in her mother for never standing up for herself had further soured her opinions on marriage. It was a fancy cage, that had curtailed her mother's freedom and independence and bound her to the societal norms and what they deemed acceptable irrespective of her own choices or happiness.