Chapter 28 - Quidditch Disaster

We hurried through the portrait hole and into the crowd, still discussing Snape. 

Hermione: But if he — you know — if he was trying to — to poison Lupin — he wouldn't have done it in front of Harry.

Harry: Yeah, maybe.

Said Harry as we reached the entrance hall and crossed into the Great Hall. It had been decorated with hundreds and hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats, and many flaming orange streamers, which were swimming lazily across the stormy ceiling like brilliant watersnakes.

I was full from the mac and cheese, so I watched the trio eat. Even Hermione and Ron, who were full to bursting with sweets from Hogsmeade, managed second helpings of everything. Harry kept glancing at the staff table while I was thinking of ways to use the shield in my fighting style. 

The feast finished with entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghosts. They popped out of the walls and tables to do a bit of formation gliding; Nicholas, now known as the Headless Nick by many, had great success with a reenactment of his own botched beheading. He winked at me as he left the table.

Malfoy: The Dementors send their love, Potter!

He shouted through the crowd as we all left the hall, but Harry's good mood couldn't even be spoiled by him. 

We four followed the rest of the Gryffindors along the usual path to Gryffindor Tower, but when we reached the corridor that ended with the portrait of the Fat Lady, it jammed with students. 

Ron: Why isn't anyone going in?

I was twitching to use the shield as Harry peered over the heads in front of him. The portrait seemed to be closed. 

Percy: Let me through, please. 

He came bustling importantly through the crowd. 

Percy: What's the holdup here? You can't all have forgotten the password — excuse me, I'm Head Boy —

And then a silence fell over the crowd, from the front first, so that a chill seemed to spread down the corridor. We heard Percy say, in a sudden sharp voice, 

Percy: Somebody gets Professor Dumbledore. Quick.

People's heads turned; those at the back were standing on tiptoe. 

Ginny: What's going on?

Asked Ginny, who had just arrived. Something was wrong. I told the trio to stick close to me as moments later, Professor Dumbledore was there, sweeping toward the portrait; the Gryffindors squeezed together to let him through, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione moved closer to see what the trouble was. 

Dumbledore: Oh, my — 

Hermione grabbed my arm in fear. The Fat Lady had vanished from her portrait, which had been slashed so viciously that strips of canvas littered the floor; great chunks of it had been torn away completely. Dumbledore took one quick look at the ruined painting and turned, his eyes somber, to see Professors McGonagall, Lupin, and Snape hurrying toward him. 

Dumbledore: We need to find her. Professor McGonagall, please go to Mr. Filch at once and tell him to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady.

Peeves: You'll be lucky!

He said, bobbing over the crowd and looking delighted, as he always did, at the sight of wreckage or worry. 

Dumbledore: What do you mean, Peeves?  

Peeves' grin faded a little. He didn't dare taunt Dumbledore. Instead, he adopted an oily voice that was no better than his cackle.