Chapter nine - The conversation

Matt's pov

I walked. I walked so fast that I could barely see my feet sliding in and out of focus underneath me. Olive is a liar. Whatever this sick game is that her and Micah are playing, it's not very funny to me at all. The crazy thing is, I really thought we had something unbreakable, except now everything's broken. More like shattered actually. What I really wanted to tell Olive that night in the tree house as the wind blew through her hair, was that I think I love her. Not in a way that friends do, but instead in a way which I would give anything just to see her smile. Anything to see the rosy red color shine on her cheeks.

It didn't matter now because she didn't feel the same.

As I returned to my dark bedroom and slammed the door shut behind me, I saw something from the corner of my eye. There was a white piece of paper laying on my bed. As I walked closer, I saw that the paper was actually newspaper ripped into pieces and taped back together in a weird pattern. Together it formed a sentence.

"Meet me in the park at midnight or suffer the consequences"

Who would send me this? Why could they possibly want me to go to the park?

I paced back of forth the length of my bedroom trying to decide whether I should go or not until I heard a knock on my door.

"Olive, if that's you go away" I shouted towards the shadow standing at my doorstep.

"It's only me" my mom retorted as my door slid open. I rolled my eyes heavily and looked down at my bed as I aggressively fell into in it.

I think I secretly hoped that Olive would have been the one knocking on my door. Maybe I was too hard on her after all. Maybe she's only trying to help me, and I was a complete jerk. What have I done? I pushed my face down into my hands.

"What did poor Olive do to deserve that?" she questioned as she stepped into the door and looked around curiously.

"Nothing. She did absolutely nothing" I breathed shortly.

"She'll forgive you, you know" she smiled down at me.

I looked up at her, my face bright red. "I don't know about that, I shouted at her"

"About what?" she frowned.

"Long story... I think I was just so jealous of her new friend Micah. He's a real jerk, I can just tell. I think she was trying to help me" I explained eagerly.

"You don't have to worry about this Micah,  Matty" my mom laughed as she returned to the door frame.

I looked at her curiously waiting for her to explain more.

"Olive is in love with you" she said softly as she exited through door and eventually the hallway.

The words went through my ears like music. Could she really be in love with me? I smiled at the thought. I needed to fix this, all of this. I needed to meet the person who sent this note. I needed to confront Micah, oh how I hated Micah.

I stared out my paint chipped window to the moon that sat above as I laid my head down on my pillow.