Chapter three - The vision

The next day was anything but peaceful. My mind could not stop racing from the vision I had in that cave. Matt was in danger, I could feel it. I rose from my bed as the sun shone through my lace curtains. What a beautiful day, I thought to myself. 

It's Saturday. I don't have work today surprisingly. Today I need to find out more about that cave. I need to go back. The feeling I had when I saw that vision, I just know that something isn't right.

"Olive, breakfast!"
"Coming Gram!"

I closed my journal and shoved it into my bag full of half eaten snacks and books. Just like that, I thought of a plan.

As I stormed through the library doors about an hour later, I saw exactly whom I was looking for sitting across the room at a cluttered table.

"Micah!" I shouted.

He peeped his eyes out from the top of a book. "Hey Olive" he sighed.

"Eh everything okay?" I asked as I took a seat across from him.

He plopped the book down in front of him. "Yes" he shrugged.

"I have a crazy idea and I need your help" I grinned nervously.

He just stared back with a blank look on his face.

"I need to go back to the cave...and I need to try and see the vision again"

His blank stare turned into a deep frown. "Are you out of your mind? We both got hurt yesterday and you were scared out of your wits, why would you go back?" he exclaimed.

I folded my arms in front of me. "Because! I think Matt might be in trouble, I need to see it again for myself."

"I told you, it was all in your head" Micah shouted.

"Then if it was all in my head, I won't see anything and this whole thing will be over" I begged as I stood up and hung my bag over my shoulder. "Please, I need your help."

"Fine, this is the last time" he sighed.

A grinned from ear to ear appeared across my face and the two of us dashed out of the library doors as we headed back to the waterfall.

***

When we entered the dark cave this time, it seemed much different. The water that had once been in the hole in the ground was not nearly as high. The water that streamed down the entrance of the cave was slower as well.

"The water is disappearing" I whispered as I walked around the now tiny puddle and observed the trickles of water dripping down into it.

"Why?" Micah asked as he bent down observing the puddle.

"We don't have much time" I shouted. "We need to hurry" I bent down and dipped my finger into the puddle for the second time.

I felt my mind leave my body instantly. I was now watching people. I saw a cemetery again but this time it felt as if I was there, as if I was in a movie but playing one of the background actors. A group of blurred faces huddled around a grave stone and as one person shifted to the right I could see Matt's name upon it again.

It was the same vision.

I gasped. A single tear fell down my cheek. I had to remember this was just a dream. Or was it? The man in the center of the group started to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming here to today to celebrate a life lost way to soon. Matt was a dear friend to many and a loving son. He was a artistic genius and was about to finish art school. He was suddenly taken from us by a cruel individual and deserves justice."

What? Matt was murdered? It can't be. Wait... he's about to finish art school this summer...

I looked over at the date on the ceremony paper that a woman close by was holding and it was dated for June 15th. That was in a week. I could feel all my muscles in my body tighten up and then suddenly my eyes opened. I was back in the cave with Micah's big eyes staring at me startled.

"What did you see?" he asked nervously.

I then explained my vision to him as we walked back into the city.

"Wow" he shook his head. "That sounds super intense. I'm sorry you had to see all that Olive."

"I just don't know what to do" I shrugged as we made our way up the tree covered street while the sun set behind them. "How do we know the visions are accurate?" I wondered aloud as a kicked a nearby rock into the trees.

"Olive." Micah called.

When my eyes met his I could see a drip of sweat about to escape his forehead.

"What?" I asked curiously.

"I didn't want to tell you this because I didn't want to scare you. I thought the visions were fake." he frowned.

"Spit it out Micah!" I shouted nervously.

Micah stopped walking suddenly and put his hands in his pockets. "My hamster died last night."