Diamonds can Hope

Aizawa's POV

"Is he out?" I asked, glancing in the rear-view mirror at Hawks, who was watching a dozing Todoroki with a warm look in his eyes.

"Like a light," the younger hero replied, and his wing twitched slightly from where it was nestled against Todoroki's chest. Hawks frowned. "He doesn't look very well."

I heard Dabi sigh beside me. "That's because he isn't well," His voice was deep, and grouchy. He turned and glanced behind him at the back of the car. "Hey, watch his arm. He's hurt."

Hawks' eyes widened slightly, and before anyone could stop him, he unbuckled his seatbelt and kneeled on his seat, leaning towards Todoroki and instantly pressing his hand to the younger's forehead.

He mumbled a quiet, "Shit."

Dabi tensed, and gripped the seat tightly. "What? What's wrong?"

Hawks didn't reply straight away, and unbuckled Todoroki's seatbelt. I slowed the car slightly, not wanting to jostle the two in the backseat, and so that the chances of us crashing lessened. I kept glancing from the road in front of me to the backseat in the mirror, and gripped the stirring wheel tightly when Todoroki slumped across both seats.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "What's happening, Hawks?"

"He's burning up, unresponsive, and his breathing is laboured," He reported from where he was fussing over Todoroki. "Oh, shit. His nose is bleeding."

Hawks turned and reached forward into the front seats, his head resting on Dabi's shoulder for a moment while he stretched and grabbed some tissues from the front console. When he pulled away, I couldn't help but notice the way the flame villain let his eyes linger on Hawks' hair, and I'm sure that if the situation wasn't as dire, he would've reached out and brushed his fingers through the strands. 

Now with the tissues, Hawks was stuffing Todoroki's nose with them and lifted his head slightly. The car was filled with tense air, and knowing that Hawks had everything in control back there, I refocused on the road.

Worry was running its course through my veins, and guilt was a thick underlayer within my skin that was making me feel sick to my stomach. Todoroki was my student. He was my responsibility. I am supposed to keep him safe and help him when he is in times of need, but right now I couldn't fulfil my job correctly. It was frustrating, not only because I couldn't help him, but because of how pathetic I was to not be able to help him.

"Stop the car."

Hawks' voice was loud and firm, and I could barely register what he said as I snapped back to attention.

His hand reached backwards and grasped my shoulder. "Shouta, stop the car!"

I slammed my foot on the brake, and the wheels screeched as they were forced to stop. I ripped off my seatbelt and turned to the back, panic fuelling my pumping heart.

"What's wrong?" I asked – well, more like begged – as I ripped open the door and ran to the back door, also opening it.

Hawks had Todoroki on his side, one hand on his hip while the other was squeezing his hand. "His body is stiff, but his hands are jerking. Still unresponsive. He's about to have a seizure."

Cold dread settled throughout my body, and before I could focus on what I was going to say, words flooded from my mouth. "You need to take him," I instructed, and Hawks quickly glanced at me, his face professional, but his golden eyes filled with so many nauseating emotions. "Fly him to UA. We'll be right behind you."

He nodded, his light brown hair flickering to the front of his face for a second before he pushed it back with his hand, and quickly hooked his hands under Todoroki's back and knees. He shuffled them both out of the car, and as soon as both his feet were on the ground, he swept his wings behind him, and with a burst of wind, he leapt into the air. Hawks' wings were strong and wide, and within a few seconds, he was already higher than most skyscrapers in Tokyo city.