SIXTY TWO

» [roses- the chain smokers] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:01
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Everyone began clapping as Peggy walked in, which caused a proud smile to form on Evelyn's face. The news of what happened had gotten back to the other agents as fast as a wild fire would spread.

All of them wanted to do something to show that Peggy was a valuable and needed member of the SSR.

Evelyn stood beside Jack, both of them clapping as Peggy walked towards them. They were so proud of her. Peggy allowed a small blush to form on her cheeks, not used to getting this kind of praise from the men she worked with.

"Well, goodmorning Peggy." Jack smiled, his arm snaking around Evelyn's waist, pulling her closer. "You're here bright and early. I assume that means you'll be staying with the SSR."

"Haven't decided actually. I just came to pick up my pay check." Peggy responded swiftly, although everyone knew that she would be staying, she loved her job more than anything.

"Well, we will keep the desk for you, just incase." Sousa joked.

"She'll be back." Jack responded cockily.

"I'm sure she will." Evelyn whispered, her fingers entwining with Jack's, causing a smile to form on both of their faces.

She looked up at him, causing him to lean down and press his lips against her temple. He loved the girl, and he wasn't afraid to admit that now.

"Which one of you fellas is Jack Thompson?" Walt shouted.

"That's me." Jack responded, pulling Evelyn behind him ever so slightly, ready to do anything he needed incase they were in danger.

"Walt Cooper, United States Senate." Walt introduced himself, he placed his hand out for Jack to shake, which he happily did. "I just wanted to come down here and personally commend you for the fine work you and your team did."

Evelyn looked towards Peggy and Sousa, she knew Jack like the back of her hand and despite how proud he was of his team, she knew he would be rolling in all of the glory.

"An attack on Times Square could have been a calamity, and what I hear is that you saved thousands of lives." Walt continued as Jack turned to face Evelyn, Peggy and Sousa. "The city and the country owe you a great debt. We need more men like Jack Thompson fighting for freedom and security. You're all lucky that you work for him."

"I just did what needed to be done." Jack hated that he didn't give Evelyn, Peggy and Sousa the proper credit that they deserved. But he also knew that they would understand.

"You okay your cards right, son, and you could get a congressional honour out of this situation." Walt placed his hand on the back of Jack's neck, guiding him towards the chiefs office. "The president wants to thank you himself."

Jack let go of a chuckle before saying,

"Maybe next time I'll vote for him."

"How can you just sit there and take that?" Sousa questioned as he looked between the two women. "I'm gonna tell that senator what really happened. Hell, I'll tell Truman himself."

"It really doesn't bother me." Peggy spoke up before Sousa could get too far.

"Well, it bothers the hell out of me. I saved that jerks life." Sousa grumbled before looking at Evelyn. "No offence."

Evelyn just struggled it off, as much as she loved Jack it didn't mean that she could change other peoples opinions of him. She knew he could be an ass, but that was just one of the flaws that she loved about him.

"I don't need a congressional honour. I don't need Agent Thompson's approval or the presidents." Peggy began.

"Although it would be nice." Evelyn whispered, linking her arm with Peggy's.

"I know my value, anyone else's opinion doesn't really matter." Peggy continued, making Evelyn smile.

Sousa nodded for Evelyn to walk away, which she quickly got the hint that he probably wanted to ask Peggy out on a date. She smiled softly before walking towards The Chief's office and knocking on the door.

Jack motioned for her to enter the office, which she did with a smile. She made her way over to Jack, who said in The Chief's chair. She placed her hand on his shoulders.

"Gentlemen, I'm sure that is all for today, I will be in touch." Jack didn't take his eyes off Evelyn as he spoke. The girl was so beautiful.

The men nodded and quickly made their exits, leaving Jack and Evelyn alone in the office. The man slowly stood up and closed the blinds before turning and facing Evelyn.

"You look beautiful today, darling." Jack whispered as he made his way over to the girl. His hand rested firmly on her waist as he linked their other hands together.

He began to dance around the room with her, the faint hum of a tune coming from the radio made them both smile. Evelyn rested her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat as they swayed.

"I love you." Jack blurted out. "I know it might seem sudden, but I love you. And I just wanted you to know."

The girl tried her hardest to fight back a blush as she listened to his heart rate increase. He was clearly nervous, which made Evelyn feel kind of bad for not responding straight away.

She tilted her head back and pursed her lips, making Jack lean down and connect his lips with hers. Her lips tasted so sweet, he was addicted to them. He pulled her closer, if that was even possible.

"I love you too, Lieutenant." Evelyn whispered against his lips. "I always will."