27: Have you Ever had the Rotten Experience of Putting a pet Down?

"Hold her still Glorfindel." Valar knows that I couldn't do this by myself. The wild rearing mare threw her head again as the golden haired Vanyar tried to calm her down. 

"Shhhh, mellon nin, Elrond will make it fast." The horse began to calm at the soft voice and gentle strokes of the commander. He brushed her mane and rubbed her muzzle while he whispered in both Elvish and common tongue. 

Elrond wasn't listening to what Glorfindel was saying. He sat only a few feet away on a large stone. His sword, Hadafang, was on his lap and there was whetstone in his hand. The sound of the stone scraping metal could be heard over a large area. I'm lucky that she doesn't bolt at the sound of this.

There was a knot in his stomach, a sick feeling that made him want to vomit. I feel like a murder. What did she do? The mare had done nothing, but she was ill with a disease that spread like wildfire among the animals. Either she was put down, or many more animals would have to be killed. She was mine. 

"Hísë." Elrond stood and called out to the sweet beast. His voice had gone hoarse and his vision blurry. My sweet Hísë, my sweet mare. Her ears shot up when she heard her name. Pulling away from Glorfindel's hand she trotted to her master, her friend. The Valar are cruel indeed if they must take this innocent creature.

The mare rubbed her muzzle into the Lord's chest. She knocked him back playfully, she made him smile. But it melted away as fast as it had appeared. Why? Tears rolled down Elrond's cheek, but in the moon light were almost invisible. Hísë rubbed her muzzle against her friend's cheek.

Elrond grabbed the steed around the neck and buried his face in her pelt. She rubbed her head against his, but found that he had already pushed away. He took a shuddering breath,

"May Nahar find you my dear Hísë." He rose Hadafang over his head and brought it down in a trail of silver. The mare did not have time to cry, for the sword had cut her through. Elrond dropped the sword with out a word and fell back onto the rock and buried his face in his hands. Why? Why?! WHY!? 

Glorfindel sat down by his side and grasped his shoulder. "No more animals will get sick. We have kept the others from fall prey to this terrible fate. She would have died anyways Elrond, isn't this way better?" Elrond looked up to his, the tears still running down his cheeks.

He looked up, and shook his head. No, tis not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~''

My heart.... Is dead. I'm listening to sad music as well. Good job me.
------- hísë means dusk
------- Nahar is the horse of Orome, the huntsman of the Valar.

~Megan