The death list

A year later
"This is a great sweet 16 Julie, your mom would have loved it" Blake tells me.

"Thanks Blake, I hope so. I wish she didn't have to miss all this" I say, taking a drink of my punch.

Let me catch you up. About 4 months ago, my mom died from a horrible lung cancer. It was the single worst thing I thought I had ever experienced. The only people who I could count on were my papi and Blake. He's my best friend and has been since elementary school. Tonight is my official sweet sixteen though I turned 16 like 2 months ago, I just couldn't bring myself to have a party that soon. It was bittersweet having my birthday without her.

"Come on, let's dance" he says, grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the dance floor. He spins me around and I laugh. We dance and dance until I suddenly stop, feeling a tightness in my chest. It then becomes harder to breath. It feels like something is building up in my chest and lungs. I grab my chest and my head starts to swim as well, everything becoming blurry.

"Jules, you okay?" Blake ask. That's the last thing I hear when I hit the ground.
And everything goes dark.

No ones POV:

Julie hits the floor and Blake yells out for her dad, everyone stopping and gather around her. Her dad pushes through the crowd and runs over to his daughter.

"Blake, what happened?" He yells.

"I-I don't know, she stepped back then held her chest and collapsed" Blake says panicked.

"Okay, call the ambulance. QUICKLY" ray tells him.

At the hospital
Julie's POV:
I wake up to bright lights and my arm in pain. I look down and see there are tons of IV's attached to me. I look over and see Blake asleep in on of the chairs.

"Blake" I whisper but no reply. I wonder how long he's been here or how long I've been here. I look outside the windows and see my dad talking to doctors. I swing my feet off my bed and grab the thing that has the stuff I'm connected to on it, careful not to wake up Blake.

He would 100% not let me eavesdrop.

I press my ear up to the door and listen.

"I'm afraid we found cancerous tumors in her chest which lead to the fluid buildup in her lungs" the doctor says.

Cancerous tumors?

"Well, if it's just a few small tumors, you can remove them right?" My dad ask. The doctor looks down at the ground and takes a deep breath.

"I'm afraid not, it's much larger and at the rate it's spreading- it's just not possible" the doctor says.

"It-it has to be. There's has to be something you can do. It's your fucking job" my dad says, his voice of emotion.

All I can think is that I'm gonna die.

Then I lean a little too close and the door falls open, taking me with it.

My dad turns around and looks me.

"Oh Mija" he says and hugs me tightly. I pull back and look at the doctor.

"What does this mean for me" I ask him.

"Well your cancer is stage 4, I'm not sure there's much we can do. We could try chemo
treatment but-" he stops.

"But you can't promise they'll work" I finish the sentence I'm assume he couldn't.

I've always thought about doctors and how they have to deliver this earth-shattering news. I know if it was me, my heart would break each time I saw them react. Saw their hearts break.

"But there's a chance right? That- that we could save her. The chemo, it- I mean it could work" my dad says, stepping in front of me.

"Dad, don't please. I don't wanna do chemo, especially if it's not gonna work" I say, turning him around to me.

"Mija, I can't lose you. You-you're my daughter" my dad says, tears rolling down his cheeks. I hug him close and he pulls me closer.

"You could never lose me Papa" I say, looking up at him. Every time I hug him, I feel like a little kid again.

"So are we going to do chemo or not? I'll give you time to decide what you wan-" the doctor says but I interrupt him.

"No, it's my decision and I don't want chemo. I wanna be able to live the last little bit of my life" I say, squeezing my dads hand.

"From the scans and test we've ran, the most time you have is 3 months. With chemo, you could live as long as a year if not more. It would depend on the effectiveness of the treatment"

"Julie maybe you should consider the chemo, I'd theres a chance for you-"

"I'm gonna die either way so it won't make a difference" I snap.

"Die?" Blake says tiredly from behind me. I turn around quickly and he walks over to me.

"Julie, what are you talking about?" He ask, putting my hand in his.

"I- umm have. damn,  okay I have cancer it's stage 4 and I only have 3 months left" I say, shallowing hard.

"Julie I-" he says, his voice shaking and eyes becoming watery. I pull him down and hug him as tight as I can.

"I love you Blake, you know that. I'll be okay, it'll be okay. I promise" I whisper in his ear as he sobs into my shoulder.

The next week
I'm sitting on my bed, writing....... something when my dad yells for me to come down. I tiredly drag myself downstairs and i stop on the bottom of the stairs.

"Yes?" I ask. My dad moves and Blake is behind him.

It's the first time I've seen Blake in a week and I've never been so overjoyed. I run to him and he does the whole hug-pick up thing.

"Blake! I missed you so fucking much" I say, smiling and hugging him again.

"I missed you too and I'm so sorry for bailing on you this past week, I just needed to wrap my head around... well everything"

"It's okay, you're here now and that's all that matters. Now come on, I have to show you something" I say grabbing his hand and dragging him upstairs with me.

It feels great to have my best friend back, I know he wasn't truly gone but I wasn't sure if I should Eve message him or what. I mean, what was I supposed to do? I think I did what was right.

We go into my room and I grab my journal, ripping out the paper I was writing and handing it to him.

He scans it and looks up at me, giving me a puzzled look.

JULIE'S DEATH LIST
1. Travel (not super important but I just wanna go somewhere other then LA)
2. Kiss a stranger (I know, ambitious)
3. Skinny-dip (it's a teen thing)
4. Watch the sunrise (I've never seen one)
5. Karaoke with a stranger (it just sounds fun)
6. Leave notes in a bookshop (something to know I was there)
7. Sneak out (another teen thing)
8. Sneak into a club (clubs are cool, no other reason necessary)
9. Sleep under the stars (the night is so pretty)
10. Hug a Jamie (why not?)
11. Apple picking at midnight (never done it before)
12. Perform at the Orpheum (my big dream)

"Julie, what-what is this?" Blake ask, holding the paper out.

"It's like a goals list or wish list I guess. I don't know really know, just things I wanna do before I die. And I'm gonna do #8 tonight" I say.

"How are you gonna get into a club?" He ask.

"I have my ways Blake. Now catch me up on your life. Let's just ignore mine for now" I say jumping on the bed beside him.

And that's how the wild ride of the death list began.

A/N: I'm so sorry it took so long for this part but here ya go! I hope you like it and continue reading.

Love you lots babes -R