Two

Newt did bring Thomas food, but if he was hoping for some kind of heart to heart with the boy, he was mistaken

Newt did bring Thomas food, but if he was hoping for some kind of heart to heart with the boy, he was mistaken. He merely dropped the food in the floor of the slammer and took a seat outside the door. He didn't say much, he just looked somewhere far off and picked at the laces of his shoes.

"Have you finished?" He asked after a while, and first Thomas thought he was talking about his food that he had only just received. "Can't have you acting like a mad man running around here. You've already got people talking." The day had grown dark, the thunder rumbled overhead causing the blond to look up into the sky.

"Yeah." Thomas muttered taking a bite of the carrot on his plate, though he wasn't entirely convinced himself.

"Well that's good. Would be a shame for you to miss the party." Newt replied, but he still didn't release him.

"I don't want to go to a party." Thomas replied simply.

"You want to stay in here all night then?" He asked.

"Isn't that what you said I would be doing anyway?" The leaves shuffled under Newt's feet and a fire became evident somewhere far in the distant.

"Turns out I've got a soft spot for-" Newt cleared his throat to cut himself off. "Do you want to go or not?" He asked, though he was already on his feet, Thomas could hear the keys rattle in his hands. "You ought to  join us, Tommy. We don't have much parties in the cold days, and it's creeping up on us," the door swung open, and Thomas shoved the rest of his sandwich in his mouth before he helped himself out. A cool breeze struck him in the cheek as he emerged from the Slammer, and Newt clapped him on the back.

"This way, Tommy." He lead him toward the fire he saw before, their shoulders brushed with every other step they took. When they approached, the fire was bigger than Thomas originally thought, the flames lit up the faces of everyone who surrounded it. Newt took two sticks of meat from a nearby girl and handed one to Thomas. "Cmon." Thomas followed Newt without question, he had managed to snag a glass jar from a boy and lead him over to a log that had evidently fallen some time ago. "Take a seat here." He said after he sat down himself.

Thomas spun the stick that held the meat between his fingers and looked at the space where the walls were once separated. He could hear the crowd's whoops and hollers behind him as he divulged into his own mind.

"Try some of this," Newt said, putting the glass jar in his hand. "it'll put some hair on your chest." Thomas took a drink, and barely managed to choke it down then took another. Newt laughed, and took a bite of what might have been beef, Thomas wasn't sure. "Hell of a first day you've had." He said. "Don't remember anyone else giving us so much trouble on their first day." Thomas didn't reply, he was too caught up in his own head. Why the hell was everyone acting so calm about this?

"What's out there?" Thomas asked, eyes on the walls again. Newt took a minute before he answered and took another drink from his glass.

"There's a Maze out there. You see them over there?" He turned around and pointed to a muscular boy who sat on the top of a log, surrounded by a girl and two other boys. "Those are runners, they run the maze every day to try and find a way out,"