Sixteen. Newt.

(Yellow by Coldplay)

His mind went fuzzy as he saw the mess of a person staring back at him. Some of his clothes had been singed and he was fairly positive he had a burn on his leg but other than that, he seemed completely fine. His legs moved without his mind telling them to and he ran into Thomas's arms.

"I thought I lost you." He whispered as one of his hands felt his hair and the other had wrapped around his neck.

"You can't get rid of me that easy." Thomas grimaced, his voice sounded frail and so Newt pulled away.

"Are you okay? What happened? Are you hurt?" His eyes looked over every inch that he could, his fear and anxiety overwhelmed him more than the relief of actually seeing him again.

"I'm fine, Newt. I promise." Thomas smiled weakly. "I got out of the homestead and must have passed out or something because next thing I know this Shank is shaking the life outta me." He nods to Minho. Who only smiled.

"Everyone clear out!" Minho called to the other Gladers. "Let them have a few minutes." As the Gladers dispersed, Newt threw himself into Thomas's arms again.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered into Thomas's neck. "I'm so shuckin sorry."

"Newt. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm okay. I'm here."

"I never should have left you behind, Tommy." He pulled away and Thomas cupped his cheek and wiped away a stray tear that fell.

"I decided to stay. It's not your fault." Newt felt like a crybaby, he couldn't remember the last time he'd ever cried so much. "It's okay." Thomas offered a small smile.

"I'm sorry, Tommy. I'm never leaving you behind again." He searched Thomas's face for a moment before he spoke again. "Are you hurt?" Thomas looked at him for a long time before he answered. He shifted in his position to expose a fair sized burn on his calf. Newt reached toward the angry red and black skin but Thomas flinched away.

"Does it hurt?" It was a stupid question really, and he knew it was.

"Well it doesn't feel great, but Mona thinks it'll heal alright." A pang of guilt hit Newt's heart.

"There's some snow in the woods we could put on it." He suggested.

"Newt." Thomas grabbed his bicep a little too hard. "I'm fine, you don't have to fix everything." He smiled, but the soot on his face made his eyes look more sunken in than usual. His smile a ghost of what it once was. Newt smiled, his throat was still raw with emotion as he tried to take in Thomas as he was now.

"Tommy, I love you."

He did it, he said it finally. He didn't know what to expect though, a smile a hug, a kiss maybe. But that's not what he got. Thomas looked far off and his eyes were sad.