Twelve

Betrayal

Betrayal.

There was no worse feeling than being betrayed by someone you loved. Or maybe someone you thought you loved. It was becoming hard to decipher anymore. He couldn't move, he didn't want to breathe, he didn't want to do anything at all. His body was weighed down with grief and sadness so he just stared at the wall like a lost puppy left to die. Abandoned on the side of the road like garbage.

"Tom." Thomas flinched, instantly giving himself away. 

"What?" He croaked. He didn't know if it was whatever Newt had drugged him with or grief that had turned his limbs into stone.

"You have to eat." His eyes turned to Teresa who sat on the stool in the corner of the room.

"I'm not hungry." He replied and closed his eyes again.

"Tom, don't be an idiot." The stool scraped across the floor as she got to her feet. "Eat the damn food or I'll shove it down your throat." Thomas didn't answer this empty threat he just opened his eyes and stared at the dark ceiling.

"You don't know what it's like." He muttered.

"Oh slim it-"

"No Teresa!" He exclaimed. "You don't know. I remember begging to be sent here. For him, and he left me here like a pile of useless clunk. After everything I'd done just to get his attention and I finally think he's giving it to me, just for him to drug me and leave me here. What am I supposed to think, Teresa?" He glared at her now, anger was tight in his throat. "So tell me how you know what it's like? You don't know shit." He spat and turned away from her.
"Now leave me alone, I don't need your damn pity."

"Then quit being so damn pitiful." She snarled back. "They're going to be back in three days and for your sake I hope you've got your shit together by then." She paused for with her hands on the door and turned to look at Thomas.

"You know, there was a time when you would do anything for him. Do anything he said and wanted. Now look at you. Sulking in bed because he sent you away. The Thomas I knew was strong. Where is he now?" She slammed the door on the way out, leaving Thomas alone again. He didn't feel strong anymore. He felt weak. He ignored the hunger that clawed his gut, he wanted to throw up. His stomach was queasy and maybe the Sick that he had tried so hard to fight off was stronger than he thought, maybe he wanted the Sick to win. He wasn't strong, he was almost positive that he had never been strong in the first place. But his mind was fuzzy and his heart ached in his chest, and he wanted to wallow in his own self pity for at least a few more hours.

He coughed and coughed until his throat was raw and his eyes watered. He didn't feel well, but he didn't want to give Newt the satisfaction of being right anymore. Maybe the Sick would take him by then, maybe he would find out if he truly loved him only if he was on his death bed.

"Morning Thomas." He internally rolled his eyes as he was greeted by another unwanted visitor. He saw Mona had entered the room. He didn't answer her greeting, she had helped Newt do this to him. "Got some clunk stuck up there?" Thomas stayed quiet. He played a child's game by doing this but he had little care left right now. Another coughed shuttered his body and he pulled the pelts closer to himself.
Mona was to his side quickly, her hand went to his forehead and then his neck.