Nine

The next day Thomas slept until the sun was high in the sky, and when he woke Mona was by his side

"Good morning sleepy head." She said with a smile. "It's not really morning anymore, but I brought you something to eat." She held up a steaming bowl and Thomas sat up in his bed and took it from her.

"How're you feeling today?" She asked, her hand touched his forehead and then his neck.

"Better." Thomas lied, he still felt pretty much the same as the night before only with a newfound curiosity. He wanted to know who was talking to him and how she had gotten in his head. Mona eyed him, he still felt woozy and the pounding in his head wouldn't let him forget about it.

"How's life outside this damn room?" He asked in between bites of his stew.

"Pretty much the same as always." She replied. "Everyone's melting the snow and hoping the food will last us until the Green Season comes back." Thomas nodded slowly.

"You going to show me some more Medjack clunk today?" He asked, discarding the spoon and just taking sips from the bowl itself.

"It's not clunk, for one. It's very useful, but yes." She sat on the same stool at his bedside and waited for him to finish eating. "You've had visitors while you've been out you know." She said, and Thomas raised an eyebrow in question as he sipped at the broth again.

"Chuck comes here a lot and Minho does sometimes too. Also that new girl woke up yesterday. Her name's Teresa and-"

"Teresa?" He asked quickly.

"Yeah?" Mona asked slowly.

"I just- never mind. She came to visit me? Why?" Mona shrugged and tied a few bundles of bandages together with a piece of twine.

"I think she was just looking around and found you here." She replied as if it were nothing. Thomas nodded thoughtfully and finished off the rest of his broth.

"Okay then." He said. "Who else?" He asked curiously. She hesitated for a second and pretended to bust herself picking out a particularly hard knot.

"Nobody." She said. "He didn't visit you Thomas, not after the last time you kicked him out of here." He nodded slowly, though it kind of hurt him to know it.

"Good that, show me medjack things." He clapped his hands together in anticipation and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He didn't want to talk about Newt anymore.

"First of all," Mona said putting her hand to his chest. "you're not getting up." Thomas deflated, although inwardly he was grateful. "And we're going to talk about what happened to you and what you should do then." Thomas leaned his back against the wall and waited for her to continue.

"So, it is important to put something under their head so they don't hurt themselves and if you can get something in between their teeth even better."