Chapter 20

Act 4 - Vast and Blue

Just over the horizon the sun started to rise, and all the cats were huddled together in groups gossiping and whispering, making sly comments and giving the six apprentices dirty looks, there eyes piercing their souls.

Deerpaw crouched low to the ground, trying to make herself less visible to all the furious gazes washing over her flank. She was still shaken up from the dogs, the guilt still clawed at her insides, and to top it all off CreekClan hated them. While she was deep in thought, she jumped at the growl of Hareleap, his massive paws clawing at the ground as he stalked over to them, his fury hit her like a monster on the road, making her fur stand on end each time he got closer to them.

"I have just about had it with you mangey, flea bag piles of fur, six cats are DEAD because of YOU!" All eyes were on them, Deerpaws heart raced, and another rush of guilt flossed over her as she looked around at all the cats. She could tell by their expressions that they all agreed. The only cats that seemed sympathetic were Dawnpaw, Rowanpaw, Berrybush and a few others. But the majority...

"I knew you were all trouble from the moment I smelled your scent! We should NEVER have listened to a bunch of RANDOM cats JUST because of some 'PROPHECY!" His claws raked the ground, and the murmurs of agreement spiked at her heart.

"I think we should just go back to the pipes, and YOU can all crawl back into whichever rat infested cave you emerged from!" Most cats seemed to nod, their hostile glared filled the clearing, but suddenly Willowstar emerged from the gathering of cats, and raised her tail for silence, before standing tall beside Hareleap.

"If you're finished Hareleap." She gave him a stern glare, before looking to the apprentices, "five cats were lost today. I greave greatly for our clan."
Oh no, shes agreed that they should go back to the pipes!

"However. That is not the fault of these apprentices. They have risked their lives coming to save us and you want them to just go home? Because of the loss of our clanmates, I know all of them want us to make it. They sacrificed themselves for this clan, which I know every cat would do. We are loyal to our clan and sometimes EclipseClan has a different path for some."

The clearing fell silent, Deerpaw felt much gratitude for the CreekClan leader, she was level headed and had so much wisdom.

"We will rest here tonight and hold vigils for our lost cats, then in the morning ALL of us will continue on our journey. We won't let this get in our way. Clan dismissed." And with a flick of her tail, she stalked out of the clearing.

One by one cats stalked off into small groups, some went hunting, some went exploring and some stayed in the clearing.

Deerpaw didn't know what to do, she looked at her friends, they were all showing little emotion. They were all silent and staring at there paws.