―fifteen. snap out of it

◤                                                                      ◥
𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐊
𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐂𝐎𝐈𝐍, 𝐉𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍?

◣                                                                    ◢

CHARLIE GRINNED, HOLDING UP HER CROSSED ARMS TO REVEAL A COLLECTION OF THINGS. A golden goblet — though how she found one in the clothing section, was beyond anyone — as well as a few potions no one remembered her pocketing and some random pieces of cloth along with a raccoon that happily sat on her head, curled into a tight little ball.

''Charlie,'' Leo said, a fond smile on his face as he watched her try to pick up a left boot. ''Are you seriously trying to—''

She fell, collapsing straight down as pain flashed up her spine. The raccoon on her head stood up, making a few noises as it span around before settling back down. ''Ah, gods damn it.''

Leo laughed loudly, extending a hand out to her. Jason called out to them, spinning around as he held a shirt up, sleeve to shoulders as if to see how it would look on him, ''Hey, check it out!''

From a rack labelled distressed clothing, he held up a purple T-shirt, like the one he'd worn on the school field trip — except this one looked like it had been torn apart by tigers.

Jason frowned. ''Why does this look so familiar?''

''Jason, it's yours,'' Piper said in a soft voice, fingers pinching the bridge of her nose. ''Now, we really have to leave.'' Her hands span out before falling to her sides, head tilting as she realised Jason most likely couldn't hear her anymore because of the Princess's enchantment.

''Nonsense,'' the Princess said. ''The boys aren't done, are they? And yes, my dear. Those shirts are very popular — trade ins from previous customers. It suits you.''

Leo picked up an orange Camp Half-Blood tee with a hole through the middle, as if it had been hit by a javelin. Charlie made a scramble for the pile, making it her mission to find a clean one. Next to those, was a dented bronze breastplate pitted with corrosion — acid, maybe? — and a Roman toga slashed to pieces and stained with something that looked disturbingly like dried blood.

''Your highness,' Piper said, trying to control her nerves. ''Why don't you tell the others about how you betrayed your family? I'm sure they'd like to hear that story.''

Her words didn't have any effect on the Princess, but the boys turned, suddenly interested.

''More story?'' Leo asked.

''I'd like more story!'' Jason agreed.

Charlie grabbed all the orange shirts and made a scene of plopping right at the Princess' feet, cross legged as she stared up, waiting for a story, hands absentmindedly filtering through the pile.

The Princess flashed Piper an irritated look. ''Oh, one will do strange things for love, Piper. You should know that. I fell for that young hero, in fact, because your mother Aphrodite had me under a spell. If it wasn't for her — but I can't hold a grudge against a goddess, can I?''

The Princess's tone made her meaning clear : but I can take it out on you.

''But that hero took you with him when he fled Colchis,'' Piper remembered. ''Didn't he, your highness? He married you, just as promised.''

The look in the Princess's eyes made Piper want to apologise, but she didn't back down. Charlie's hands stopped moving as she pouted childishly, staring up at them. ''You're married?''