―twenty-one. pebble versus boulder

◤                                                                        ◥
𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐒𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃
𝐈𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐆𝐎 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄
◣                                                                        ◢

WOLVES YELPED AND RETREATED. Several caught fire and had to run back onto the snow. Even Lycaon looked uneasily at the barrier of flames now separating his wolves from the demigods.

''Aw, c'mon,'' Coach Hedge complained. ''I can't hit them if they're way over there.''

Every time a wolf came closer, Leo shot a new wave of fire from his hands, but each effort seemed to make him a lot more tired and Charlie was beginning to wonder who was holding who up, and the gasoline was already dying down. ''I can't summon any more gas!''

''You better not have been summoning any!'' Charlie smirked, biting down on the laughter to her own joke, figuring it was the wrong place just as the sentence had left her mouth.

Leo turned red. ''Wow, that came out wrong. I mean the burning kind. Gonna take the tool belt a while to recharge. What you got, man?''

''Nothing,'' Jason said. ''Not even a weapon that works.''

''Lightning?'' Piper tried and Jason concentrated, but nothing happened. ''Te snowstorm must be interfering, or something. Unleash the venti?''

''Then we'll have nothing to give to Aeolus,'' Jason shook his head. ''We'll have come all this way for nothing.''

Lycaon laughed. ''I can smell your fear. A few more minuted of life, heroes. Pray to whatever gods you wish. Zeus did not grant me mercy, and you will have none from me.''

Charlie was less prepared to sacrifice her necklace than she thought, fingers wrapped around it as she had pulled it free from underneath the protection of clothing, but that was where it stayed.

The flames began to sputter out. Jason cursed and dropped his sword, stepping more towards the right, where he was fully in front of them all, protecting them. He crouched and was ready to go hand-to-hand.

Then a ripping sound cut through the wind — like a piece of tearing cardboard. A long stick seemed to sprout from the ground, just in front of the fire. A miss hit. It sparkled. Or was it?

Charlie dived forwards, seeming to be the only one to notice it, ignoring the pain in her torso. She could always eat more ambrosia, but she couldn't bring her friends back from the dead.

''Charlie!'' Leo was next to her within seconds, arm wrapping itself around her torso and pulling her to her feet and back, nearly causing her to trip. ''What are you doing!''

''Silver,'' She smirked, bringing it up to hold between their faces, revealing an arrow. She gently pushed herself away from him, breaking the hold he had around her waist, and she went to stand by Jason. The blond turned to her and the two shared a small smile, nodding.

The fire fully died down, Lycaon snarled, but there was a new taste among the smell of fear. Charlie's eyes twinkled, just like the arrow she twirled between her fingers, and he realised too late.

Another arrow hit, lodging itself in a wolfs neck. It withered and fell, melting into a snow puddle. A distraction, Charlie did another roll, figuring that there was no harm in showing off, and stabbed a wolfs poor, bringing it back out. As the wolf shrieked and moved to its hind legs, the opportunity to strike at its chest showed itself, and Charlie took it. Another puddle.

More arrows. More wolves fell. The pack broke in confusion. An arrow flashed towards Lycaon, but the wolf king caught it in midair. Then he yelled in pain. When he dropped the arrow, it left a charred, smoking gash across his palm. Another arrow caught him in the shoulder, and the wolf king staggered.