Home

My ears still rang from the recent gunshot. Guns weren't my style or even getting my hands dirty in general. I hated being out on the field. If this deal hadn't fucked up in the first place, I wouldn't have to be here. Why do I even bother hiring people when they can't even do their goddamn jobs. James handed me a handkerchief, and I wiped my hands clean. Giving the gun back to him, we walked to my car. Deep breath's S, a couple more hours and you won't have to deal with these morons anymore. A couple more hours and there will be a new group of morons to deal with.

"Where's Peterson?"

"I'm afraid he's gone into hiding for now. He's got a burner."

"That's fine. Ping it through, and I will call him when I reach the airport. Take me home; I got blood on my shoes."

He humphed, driving me back to my condo. I freshened up, threw my shoes into the fire before heading back down to the car. James didn't say a word to me on the way to the airport. He wasn't sure I should return to my father's main office in New York. I was well aware of the danger that came with connecting back with my family, more for myself not for my family. They were right down low on my priority list. I can't wait to see their expression when they see what I've become. I can't wait to rub my success into my father's face. I had gotten a text early this morning, saying my sister had already landed in New York. I'm already displeased with her actions. I had told her to stay in Italy with her husband, but here she disobeyed me, again. She thinks that because she is my sister, I won't dare lay a finger on her. Jokes on her, because I will not let anyone but me kill her if she steps out of line again.

I checked in when we reached the airport when I finally got Peterson's burner phone number. I dialed it in and waited. He finally picked up, and I could hear the fear in his voice. To think this pathetic tiny man used to rule over everything. A lot has changed now that I am in charge.

"Peterson, my flight leaves in an hour. I have left all my information with Claire if you need to get into contact with me. Anytime you are in New York please don't hesitate to give me a call."

I ended the call, placed my phone on the ground and crushed it with the hell of my boot. Picking up the remains, I threw it in the closet trash bin and got ready to board my flight. I set up my new phone and texted my mother my flight details. It's been awhile since I have been with my family. It's also been several years since we have all lived in our New York home. We used it for our large family Christmas tradition that we only did when I was a child. Ever since grandma's death when I was about seven, we stopped the traditions. Our large family then became the four of us.

While I had been away, I did everything I could to earn the trust of Peterson. Coming home for Thanksgiving or even Christmas was out of the questions. My line of work became too dangerous for me to leave, but mum would keep me up to date on the family. They had only moved back to New York about a year ago. Dad said something about being too far from the central office was making work hard for him. Although I know, it's utter bullshit, and I'm the very reason he moved back. He said he would give me the reins when I returned from business school, but it looks like he has different plans for me. This will be exciting. It was a short flight, and I was already tired. My plane landed around mid-afternoon, and I saw my mother in the lounge waiting for me. Not that I was expecting my father to be here as well.

"Hi, good to see you; where's the other two?"

"Rose arrived very early this morning and is quite jet lagged. And you know what your father is like"

"Hmmmm"

The car ride home was quiet, and when we pulled up to the house, I expected a bigger welcome. Rose didn't even bother getting out of the shower. When mum decided to serve dinner early, that when they came out of their rooms. Dad seemed a little shocked that I was even here. I guess he must have thought I was coming tomorrow.

"I thought you weren't coming until tomorrow?"

"Nice to see you too."

"Well, it's good to have you home Lindsay. We have some business we need to talk about."

"After dinner honey."

Mum glared at dad, making me roll my eyes, trying to keep my attention on my phone. I had received a somewhat confusing message, and it took me entirely by surprise. If that has anything to do with the business my father wants to talk about, I'm not going to be happy. He always has a knack for getting himself involved, especially if it's things that will make him a lot of money. After dinner had finished and I had cleaned up, I went into my father's office where he waited for me.

"Lindsay, sit down. I know I did promise it to you by your twenty-fifth birthday and I will hand the reins over to you. But I would like it if you get some experience first."

"Isn't that why I went to college in the first place? To get the experience?"

"Yes well, now you need real-world experience."

"Okay, how far low on the ladder are you putting me?"

"You're not starting with me. I have the privilege of merging two business, so I have engaged you off to another company."

Remain calm, remain calm. I swear I could feel my eyes twitching with frustration. You will get the company; he promised when I left for Yale. I knew this was going to happen. It was because he had two daughters instead of sons. He had this large plan to train Rose into taking over the company. But she gave up the idea when she realized the potential she had in modeling. Now that he only had me left, he made broken promise after broken promise, but it was all a waste of air in the end. I'm so glad I already have a backup plan. Now to sit and wait to see what pathetic fool he's lined up for me.

"You will be meeting him tomorrow night, and you will be on your best behavior. I know you would have been partying through your college years, but I will have none of that here. Do you understand?"

"Yes, of course."