Betrayed

I stumbled back from Jack, almost too shocked to even retaliate. They always say the ones closest to you will be the ones to betray you first. I shook away the shock and kicked him hard in the stomach.

"I trusted you not to lie to me Jack. This will be worse now"

"But I'm telling the truth. He really sent us"

"Why? Zeke has no reason to come after me, not without knowing the consequences of what will happen to him when I get back"

"It was his dying wish"

I kicked him again, feeling pleasure in the crack I heard. I nodded to the boys and I left. Not caring if my family was safe or not. I boarded the next flight back to New York. I hadn't been able to get into contact with Zeke and I knew that something fishy was going to happen when I touched the ground again. And sure enough it did. The cops arrested me on the spot as soon as I came out of my gate. I was brought back to the police station and they advised me to get a lawyer but I advised them that I will not be needing one.

"Now Mrs. Hanning, I'm sure you heard the news by now"

"What news would that be, officer?"

"We bought you in on the suspicions of the death of one Mr Zeke Matthew"

"I wasn't even aware that he was dead until you told me"

"Give it all a rest Mrs. Hanning. We have your DNA at the scene of the crime"

"Of course you would"

The detective looked baffled at my answer.

"There should be a lot of my DNA at his apartment because I spent a lot of time there"

"What exactly are you implying Mrs. Hanning?"

"Zeke and I fucked, a lot too. We were having an affair and you can question my husband and his wife"

"They know?"

"Of course. We stopped a little while ago. Now aren't you meant to ask me about my alibi?"

"Alibi?"

"Yes, since the police officers failed to tell you that they arrested me at the airport. You can check my bank statements and the airport security cameras, but everything can confirm that I have been in Texas for the past couple of days. You will also see on my bank statement, that I checked into a hotel and you can also check their footage as well"

The detective stuttered and rushed out of the room. I waited about twenty minutes in that non air contained room before two other detectives came rushing back in. They unlocked the handcuffs and I rubbed my raw wrist. Handcuffs are only fun when they are plastic.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Hanning. Your alibi cleared and the forensic came back. It seems Mr. Matthews killed himself"

"Coward. Your chief will be hearing about this, arresting and accusing someone before getting your facts straight"

They gave me my stuff back before escorting me out of the precinct. I called for my car and I was taken home. Owen looked flustered when I walked through the door. He seemed to want to rush towards me but I gave him a shake of my head. I was in no mood to be loving.

"Why am I just hearing about Zeke's death?"

"We only just found out. Are you alright? Did everything go alright in Texas?"

"Unfortunately not. I will have to return to sort out some issues that I couldn't fix because I was interrupted. I'm guessing Zeke was with Williams and Peterson?"

"It looks like it"

"Fuck, I was too busy wondering if my assistant was the spy I forgot to include other people on my list. Make sure that boy it dealt with. I don't want any loose ends connecting to Zeke"