Deal Already Made

I touch up my make-up and stare at my reflection in the mirror. Dad did not budge on the idea of marrying me off to another company. I just needed a small inkling of who it is, so I can buy them off my back. Sighing I pack up my make-up bag and fluff down the low cut red dress I had chosen for this evening's fire dance. It's tight and I know that dad will disapprove of it. But I know if i had chosen something more sensible, dad would have made me change.

Rose seems to agree with my dress choice, as she gave a low whistle as I came down the stairs. Mum slapped dad when he started to protest at my dress choice. He shut up pretty quick and gave me a signature groan. I swear I thought I saw him roll his eyes at me. Dad got the car pulled around front and we made our way up town. Ignoring my family, I sat on my phone the whole small trip, and I was too busy texting that I had not noticed that we had parked and gotten out of the car. I was trying to text my partner about my situation, but I was unsure of how to put it into words. I guess I will just have to call him after dinner.

"Lindsay, get off your phone."

I reply to his message and take my eyes off the phone for the first time.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me."

"Lindsay, language, what the hell has gotten into you?"

Mum tries to hit me but I dodge and walk up to the front door. Dad tried to protest but was shut down when the butler bowes towards me. He takes my coat and gathers the other family members into the foyer, where I see a pair of shocked faces, a pair that I had not seen since my wedding day. Before dad could even get in the hello, I was already in the arms of the beautiful woman. She did return my hug when I plucked at her ponytail. I wasn't ready to blow my cover yet, and the Hanning's knew what would happen to them if they did.

"Kathryn, so good to see you again and you too, Benedict. I will explain in a short while but don't say anything to my poor family. You know the rules."

I gave Benedict a short hug and ushered us all in. The table was set for dinner and I took my usual seat at the head of the table. Dad tried to give me his evil eye, but I ignored him. He coughed, and he started his pitch to Benedict, who kept giving me side glances. I was about to provide him with my award-winning death glare when I heard the front door open. He was here. I stood up, making my chair scrape against the tiled floor. My father gave me another glare, and if I were sixteen again, it would have scared me off. But I was a lot scarier now than he will ever be. He looked up from his phone, very likely reading the message I sent him in the car.

If I had known about this, then this wouldn't be such a fuck up, and my plans would have gone a lot smoother. Gosh, my father is so embarrassing, he can be such a fuck up. He can't control anything in his business or personal affairs. While I had been away, I had to cover so many affairs and love scandals, that I would need two extra hands to count them on. He looked very confused when I approached him and gave him a small kiss on the cheek. Linking my arm around his, I forced him to sit beside me at the end of the table. Dad coughed again, most likely to start his stupid advertisement of me to Benedict, so I shushed him. He didn't look too pleased with me.

"Now, I know I agreed to the engagement for the benefit of the companies. But if my stupid father had told me the name of the company he wanted to merge, then this wouldn't be so embarrassing."

"You're the only one being an embarrassment Lindsay."

"Lindsay?"

I turned and gave Owen a pointed look. Now wasn't the time for my husband to make any comment. His eyes widened, and he turned to face his family, who was looking more and more confused by the second.

"Lindsay you need to start explaining yourself right this very moment."

"I'm already married."

"To who?"

"To Owen Hanning of course."

"What? For how long?"

"Some time three years ago. Kathryn and Benedict came to our wedding."

"Why didn't you tell us, Benedict?"

"I didn't know she was your daughter. I only knew her as......"

"Benedict, don't."

I gave my father-in-law a pointed look, and he gripped onto Kathryn's hand. It seems I will have to have a chat with my in-laws about the rules they had to follow and the consequences of breaking them. Soon my family will also know of the consequences.

"How is this possible? How did we not know about this? Aren't you still a Martin?"

"My last name is Hanning; I changed it. Owen happened to be there at the time for a business deal to go wrong and I helped save his life. The only reason I even bothered to come home, is that I have come to take my position in the company. Owen has taken his position in his father's company."

"But we hadn't talked about that. I want you to....."

"Yes, to have me married off into another company. If you didn't want me to run the company, you could have said so. What you don't seem to understand is that I am not asking to have the company. I have been running the company from Yale for the past five years. If I were to walk away from it now, I would take fifty millions dollars worth of clients."

"That's not even possible."

"Well, we can talk business in the morning. For now, let us eat the food Kathryn has prepared for us and go our separate ways."

"Won't you be coming home?"

"Owen and I already have a home here. I only returned out of courtesy and the fact that my husband had not returned here with me."

Silence filled the room, as the waiters started to bring in our food. I looked to my right and saw the face Owen was pulling. He had no idea what was going on, and I don't have the time to explain everything to him. I have a lot of work to do here in New York, and my family will get in my way. Dinner finished in a soft silence, and I got up to leave.

"I will come around at a later time, and we will talk, but for now you need not worry about me. I am a lot safer than you think."

Mum gave me a worried look, but I could see that she trusted my judgment. I turned towards my father and sister, who refused to make eye contact with me. Fair enough but I don't have time to play their silly games, especially the ones Rose likes to play. She knows how rough I can get and she also knows when she needs to stay out of it.

"I will see you in the morning to discuss more business. Rose"

I went out of the front and saw my car had already shown up. I can see some of my boys were up to schedule. My door opened, and I smiled up at Owen.

"You don't have to leave with me."

"I would rather be with you S, than that awkward group in there."

"Now that the cat is out of the bag, you can't repeat the name you heard in there tonight."

"Understood S, I know the consequences."

"Of course you do."

Smiling, I placed my hand on his cheek. He flinched at my touch, not yet used to the fact that I was touching him. It almost made me sad, almost. Keep your composure together S; you are in charge at this very moment in time. I need to keep this problem in check. Otherwise, we will have unexpected visitors that I am not ready to have.