The Start of a New Mafia

It seems Matt lives far closer to the office than I realised. I had gotten up at a stupid hour this morning, due to a rather inconvenient phone call. Either he was here early or he had seen me arrive. Nonetheless, I was happy he had followed my instructions. Dad had called me on the way to the office, saying he had organised two office's side by side, at the front of our floor. He didn't seem very pleased that I had given him the task to move people around but I didn't care much. I was happy that he was also following my instructions.

I got out of the car with a rather large smile on my face, making Matt smile with me. I had read through his paperwork yesterday and was very surprised. He was efficient and none of his paperwork seemed rushed. He had gotten all the grants and slips approved. It did concern me a little bit but I would rather have him beside me if he is a spy, that way it will be easier to kill him off.

"Good morning ma'am"

"It is a good morning Matt. Walk with me. We will discuss your promotion and your new case"

"Promotion? I don't understand, I thought you summoned me early to fire me"

"Of course not. If I wanted to fire you, I would have humiliated you in front of everyone yesterday"

We rode the elevator up to our floor. I found the two office spaces and saw my father had already written my new name on one of the doors. I opened the unnamed room and ushered Matt in.

"What exactly was your job here Matt? Your file is empty"

"I am a simple intern"

"Yes I understand that, but all interns should have cases, or at least notes by their supervisors. Who is your supervisor?"

"Mya Berry, she's one of the senior staff here"

"Your jobs?"

"She made me do the morning coffee runs, printer runs, photocopy runs. I was doing nothing all day and still getting paid for it. It was a fair enough pay so there was no point in quitting"

"Alright your new job will be my personal assistant slash secretary. You will be doing odd jobs around the office. You will be getting your own cases that I will expect you to finish along with your daily jobs. I may get you to do some pretty crazy jobs and the occasional coffee runs. I hope you don't have a social life or a girlfriend because I will be expecting you here early and late every day. Any questions?"

"No"

"Alright. This is your new office. You have ten minutes before your actual day starts. So pack up your cubicle and brag for all I care, be back here before seven thirty. Understand?"

"Yes ma'am"

He left and I dumped my bag in my new office. It was bare and had no furniture, I guess that will be one the first of many odd jobs for Matt. I followed back down the hall to the room full of cubicles. Everyone was already in which I was thankful. It looks like they took my warning. Matt had no expression on his face and everyone around him watched him pack up his cubicle in pity. He must not have made many friends while he worked here.

"Good morning everyone"

The heads of everyone shot up and I heard a group grumble of 'morning'. Matt had finished and was standing next to me. He still hadn't given them any clue that he was getting a promotion. I smiled at the pity they all gave him. They thought he was getting fired.

"I have now moved into the front of the building. Since I am now the new CEO, everything starting from today will go through me"

"What about Mr Martin?"