Chapter 8: The Fight

Korra was getting ready in the locker room with the help of Kuvira. Her phone was getting messages from Asami asking her at what time she would arrive since the match was about to start. Korra responded telling her to not worry and that she would be there to see the fight.

"Are you going to tell me what Unalaq wanted?" Kuvira asked her as she was bandaging her hands.

"No." Korra responded sternly.

"Korra...you can trust me."

"I know I can but I don't want to get distracted. Please, Kuvira."

"Fine." Kuvira let go of the subject for Korra's sake. "Some girls and I are going to a club later. Want to go?"

"I don't know Kuvira..." Korra said scratching her neck.

"Come on, Korra. You don't have to celebrate your fight. Just come to hang out with us." Kuvira pleaded. She wanted to hang out with Korra as friends and nothing more.

"Okay. I'll go." Korra agreed.

They kept getting ready until it was time to get out on the ring. Kuvira had her practice a few punches and kicks to help her unwind and focus. The fight was being held in the typical underground ring for illegal fights: a fence forming a circle with a 30ft diameter with a hard solid floor. Korra waited in the hall with Kuvira and spotted Asami and her friends. They were standing in the front row ready to watch the fight from close. Great.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Bonecrusher!"

A woman a bit taller and heavier than Korra appeared from the other hall. Why did they call her Bonecrusher? She was known in having her opponents leave with a few fractures. The people applauded and shouted her name. Korra saw a lot of them starting to pass around their bets. Desna and Eska being the primary people organizing it.

"And the one you have all been waiting for!" There was a silence. "The Avatar!!"

People screamed louder from excitement as they knew who Korra was. Korra came out from the hall in a calm manner with Kuvira behind her and trying to ignore that her friends were there. She can't be worrying about them right now if she wants to give a good fight. Korra entered the ring with the referee and saw Bonecrusher on the other end. A girl with a bit of a familiar complexion to hers only Bonecrusher was just a bit taller and didn't look like she worked out a lot like Korra.

"Okay, girls. We want a good fight with no fatal accidents."

Korra and Bonecrusher bumped their fists as an understanding and went to their end to start the fight. Korra decided to faint a hit which made Bonecrusher go back without guarding her face and Korra took the opportunity at hitting her with a right hook that immediately made a cut on Bonecrusher's eyebrow. Blood starting to flood and the people were screaming with excitement seeing that the fight was now beginning. "You have to let her give a couple of hits. Make the people believe you can lose. Give them a good fight." Orders to follow. Bonecrusher recovered quickly and went to attack Korra, throwing punches to her face and Korra letting a few hit her until she got tired. Korra broke Bonecrusher's offensive and was able to go for her leg and make Bonecrusher fall to the ground. Her legs around Korra's waist and Korra throwing punches at her face.

The referee broke them up and made them go to their corner. Korra went to Kuvira and behind her she could see Asami looking at her worried. There is no sign of disappointment or disgust. What is she thinking? Korra brought her focus back to Kuvira that was giving her water and telling her she was doing a great job. Unalaq didn't allow coaches to patch up their fighter since people liked seeing blood.

The next round started and it went a bit same than the first round. Korra and Bonecrusher got a few hits into each other on the second round and this time Korra was the one thrown onto the floor. Feeling every bone of her back crack and knowing she would have long days of recover ahead of her like always.