Memories

James started to reflect on his time on the Island as he strolled along the mainline. It is now that he realized he was more of a selfish red dick than the White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookie he thought he was. He recalled his harsh words to Duck, he recalled the accident on his first day, but most importantly, he recalled everything that happened with Toby when Bertram first bought him.

[SIX YEARS AGO]

James and Toby met at Elsbridge Station. James was a guaranteed connection with his Local.

"BLEH!" He would say. "What Dirty Objects!"

Toby lost patience. "James. Why are you red?"

"I'm red." James said, obviously wanting to avoid Toby's question.

"But why?"

"I'm a Splendid Red Engine! Ready for anything! You never see my paint dirty!"

"Oh! I suppose then you were ready for those bootlaces!" He laughed.

James went off on him. "WHY MUST YOU BE SO IGNORANT? YOU'VE JUST BEEN HERE FOR A FEW DAYS AND YOU THINK YOU CAN BOSS ME AROUND LIKE THE FAT CONTROLLER? HOW RUDE!" James puffed away.

Toby did truly feel bad, but neither could see that James overreacted a bit. Later that day, Toby and Percy sat in Ffarquhar Sheds, waiting for their next orders.

Sir Topham Hatt drove up and he ran to them. "You two are the only engines available. I need you both to help James. He got himself into... erm... a sticky situation..."

Toby looked at Percy, worried. "I hope James forgives me for the way I acted earlier today."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "What did you do?"

"I teased him about his bootlace and he yelled at me."

"We tease him all the time! He's also just a very loudmouthed engine who would stop at nothing to get his way."

Toby thought for a moment, then he realized Percy was right. "Okay. Let's go!"

The Fat Controller smiled. "Alright. The breakdown cranes are at Elsbridge. James is at Maron, so I hope the hill isn't too much trouble!"

Toby smiled, eager to work. "You can count on us, sir!" They both trundled away.

"That's a good engine!" Sir Topham Hatt smiled even brighter. "Get done quickly as you can, please! Gordon is supposed to be coming back through with the express in about 2 hours."

James felt most embarrassed when he found Toby and Percy coming to the rescue. Toby took the opportunity to tease him again. "Look here, Percy. Whatever is that dirty object?"

Percy chuckled. "That's James, didn't you know?"

"It's James' shape, but James is a splendid red engine, he's ready for anything and you never see his paint dirty."

James's face flushed. "Please just get me out of here."

"All in good time, James." Toby chuckled. "You will be back on the rails in no time." As soon as James was lifted back onto the rails, Percy and Toby coupled up to him on either side. "As soon as we get to Wellsworth, we'll turn you around and get you on the loop. That way, Henry and Thomas will be the only ones. Maybe Edward too."

Unfortunately for James, if Henry saw him, the word would have spread to Gordon anyways. And that is exactly what happened.

James got teased for the next few weeks about his trouble with the trucks, but whenever Toby saw him down and out about it, he would always remind him, "Everybody makes mistakes, James! Besides, dirty paint is not something to be ashamed of! If anything, it means you're being a really useful engine."

This made James feel much better. Despite the fact he had forgotten about Toby's advice a bit before Duck came along, he could now feel the huge gaping hole that was there without him. He felt very empty and lonely. He felt it was time to change for the better.