Mildly Questionable

Duck and Edward were shunting in the yards. Both were in a saluting silence over Toby's Death. Duck was upset. He had only spent two years with this engine and he was so kind, so supportive. It didn't sit well that Toby was gone with him.

"I wish," he told Edward, "that I could have gone instead..."

Edward did feel sorry for Duck. "I understand, Duck, but we cannot change the past. Now, Gordon should be passing through any moment. He WILL need help over that hill."

Edward was about to prepare to help Gordon up the hill when Mrs. Kyndley walked up to him. "Hello, Edward. May I have a quick chat with you?"

Gordon passed through with the express at that moment. "Blast. Duck, can you get that?" He asked.

"Of course, Edward!" Duck smiled and quickly puffed out of the yard to help Gordon.

Edward then smiled at Mrs. Kyndley. "Yes, Mrs. Kyndley!"

Mrs. Kyndley nodded. "Yes. I just have a few questions for you."

"Fire away!"

"What were you doing yesterday?"

"Oh, I was with Duck all week. We were piloting here, occasionally stopping to help other engines up the hill. Wednesday, it was my turn to pull the local trains and Thursday, I was pulling some goods trains on the Ffarquhar Branch, however, beyond that, I was with Duck here, day and night."

"I see. What specifically were you doing last night?"

"We finished up shunting around 9:30 in the night and we were waiting to push James up the hill. We didn't really talk until a bit before James came through and told us about everything. I had Duck be the banker. He came back about ten minutes later."

"You said Duck was with you the whole week?"

"Yes."

"Does that mean you consistently knew where he was as well?"

"Well, Mrs. Kyndley. After pushing Gordon up the hill, he was gone for about an hour or two. When he got back, he looked like he had just gotten done crying."

"Did you ask him what was wrong?"

"Yes, but he didn't want to talk about it." He sighed. "I kind of felt bad."

"Alright. Well, Edward. I will come back later to talk to Duck. Thank you for your time." Mrs. Kyndley began to walk away.

Edward wanted to get one more point across. "I know, Mrs. Kyndley, that the Toby meant a lot to you. He did to me too. We will find out who did this. Don't worry. I wish you the best, madam."

Mrs. Kyndley turned around and smiled. "Thank you, Edward. It means a lot." She turned back to her car and got inside.

"Have a lovely day." Edward smiled.

And with that, Mrs. Kyndley's car started up and drove out of side. Edward felt terrible for Mrs. Kyndley, but he knew he still had work to do, so he kept shunting.