Chapter 4

POV
MASON GRANT
~|~|This chapter is very sensitive. Especially when you are a victim of sexual abuse ~|~

The next few weeks it was the original routine at work and usual customers. My mind was constantly cluttered by what I want to do next in my life and whether I want to work at the garage for the rest of my life. So I decided to quit my job,"Mr Gregory", I said when I finished my last repair on a car."I need to tell you something, sir I believe my time at the garage has come to an end. I need to do something different in my life. So Mr Gregory I would like to quit my job". I said with confidence and certainty.

Mr Gregory looked at me for a moment and said, "Well Mr Grant if that's what you want son then its fine" he said like a understanding father. "You should just let me know when you are not coming anymore, but you can work here until you find what it is you looking to do", he said knowing that I might not find work that easily in this place. Due to the lack of opportunities in this town.

When I went home that afternoon I was so unsure about my decision. I constantly wondered about what I loved to do to see if I can try and pursue that. I used to enjoy painting and drawing when I was a teenager. I remember when seeing a half drawn picture hanging out of my glove compartment. It was a picture of my mother in her teen years that I attempted to draw.

When I got home that night my sister was sleeping on the couch. I went over to wake her up and her friend Josepha or Josie was also sleeping on the couch. I could clearly see that they were studying with the amount of books everywhere.

When I was about to wake my sister up, Josepha softly shouted that I shouldn't and that I should leave my sister to sleep. "Why? She has a room", I said confused, " Yes I know that but when you wake her, she won't be able to fall asleep again and she is very tired", said Josepha sounding like an over protective friend. "Okay, so I'll just pick her up and take her to her room" I said and thought to myself *my sister can't sleep on the couch*. Josepha agreed and that's what I did.

When I got back I asked Josepha why Brooks was so tired. "Brooks hasn't been sleeping at night and she has class all day",*why is my sister not sleeping I thought*. "She is going through something but I don't know what it is yet, *Josepha responds to my confusion*. I am going to find out what it is. Or maybe perhaps you know what it is", Josepha said with a realisation smile and immediately I realise how oblivious I was when it came to my sister I was constantly busy with everything else forgetting that my sister is an important part of my life too. I realise now how she has been constantly quiet and cut off after returning from visiting her father in the Valley. "No", I said realising that I haven't answered this girl staring at me,"I don't know why she hasn't been sleeping properly" I add and ask Josepha if she needed a ride home or if she's going to sleep over. She discards my offer and ensured me her close friend would pick her up.

It wasn't long after we spoke,then I heard a car honking outside. Indicating that it was her ride. We said our goodbye's and she promised me she was my sister's one and only friend at the College. I just laughed at this girl and went to my room to take a shower. After the shower I struggled to fall asleep.

"Granny who's pregnancy test is that?", I say confused as to what is happening. "Son", she started,"your mother is pregnant and is going to have a baby", before I could get too excited she continued," your father denies that its his child and your mother agreed that she was unfaithful to him", I couldn't believe what I was hearing,"your father now wants nothing to do with us and he is leaving your mother",my granny takes a long pause and continues,"Son your mother is in pain. She loves your father. She would've never been unfaithful to him. If he had not done what he had done", my granny sides with my mother. "What did he do granny" I asked curious and furious. "He...", before she could finish her sentence my mom came in the kitchen and told me to grab my stuff, seemingly fine and like nothing tremendous just happened.

In bed twisting and turning I heard someone in the kitchen *maybe it is Brooks, I thought*. I got up and went to the kitchen and it is Brooks. "Hey sis, are you okay?",I ask her with worry clear in my tone. She didn't say anything and I asked her again. She was still silent so I walked over to her side and turned her around to face me. Her face was red and her eyes poured with tears and she was sobbing. " Why are you crying?", I asked her concerned bending slightly to her height. She doesn't say anything and she just continues to cry and I hug her for comfort. "I'm constantly reminded of a horrible childhood memory, when my eyes close", she says into my chest in between sobs and I look at her, confused and unsure of what she is talking about because most of her life she was living with her father and his continues girlfriends. My granny and I wanted custody of her when she was a baby.

We couldn't get custody because her father won the case. So she would just visit my granny and I ,some days."Tell me the memory I instruct her", and she gives me a death glare because I am telling her what to do again."Please tell me the childhood memory that keeps you from falling asleep", I ask politely. She briefly smiles with tears in her eyes still present and she starts telling me the childhood memory.

Brooks~
When I was fourteen I loved studying and getting straight A's in high school. Bruno(Brooks's brother from her father's side, one year older than her) would constantly come home with failed grades. He was so jealous of me and constantly in competition with me. Father would always praise me and belittle him. In all the worst ways possible

So one day after school when we were walking home. It was late because Bruno didn't want us to leave early. He said that he wanted to chill with his friends longer.
So eventually when we were on our way home their were several men that stopped us. It was weird because it felt like they were waiting for us. They robbed us and tore my shirt pocket searching for more money or something valuable. It seemed like they knew Bruno. It seemed like he owed them something and they were not too happy when they didn't get it. So they knocked Bruno out and it seemed like that did not bring them enough satisfaction so...they used me...

Brooks started sobbing again and her crying now down poured. Her face was completely wet. I was shocked and very angry at Bruno. I was boiling with anger and hate towards Bruno and Her father for allow this to happen. She was not done yet so she continued. After that happened Bruno distanced himself from me he tortured me even more than I already was. He denied that it happened. He stopped walking with me after school and left the premises before I could come out. My father also never believed me and told me I was a liar just like mom. She said and I almost immediately wanted to kill him. At night when I close my eyes I feel them next to me. I feel their bodies. I see their faces and hear their voices... She cries even more and I just see black with the amount of anger I feel at that moment. In all of this I also feel sad and the pain for my sister because no woman should ever experience such horror.

Please do share the book😝with friends if you are enjoying it..I really appreciate you💜for reading this far.