| 02

━☄

━☄. *. ⋆━

This was it | 02

──────

     "..chie...Archie...Archie!" Betty exclaims snapping the ginger in question from his thoughts. "Are you expecting a call or something?"

     "What? No," Archie denies a little too quickly. "What makes you think that?"

     "You've checked your phone 5 times in the last 2 minutes," Betty raised her eyebrows.

     "Yeah, I just um... So what were the highlights?" Archie changed the topic. "Of your internship."

     "Smooth," Betty says sarcastically. "Okay well... The Toni Morrison book release party I organized, by far."

     "At the end of the night, Toni Morrison, who is as you know my literary hero," Betty explains, watching the ginger nod vigorously.

     "Yes. Yes."

     "Says to me. . ." Betty trails off dramatically. "Don't rush this time, Betty. It goes by so fast at your age. One summer can change everything."

     "Wow. That's so true." Archie grins, reminiscing on his summer.

     "How was working for your dad?" Betty questions thinking that was what the boy was referring to.

     "It was...Pouring concrete, every day, all day long," Archie shrugs as Betty nods in understanding. "To pass time, I would start composing these poems, in my head. And at night, I'd go home, I'd write them down..."

     "You don't even like reading poetry," Betty jokes.

     "They weren't poems, they were song lyrics," Archie says seriously thinking back to those late nights with Lilith helping him write songs and piece the lyrics together. "And working on them made me feel like..."

     "What, Archie?"

     "It made me feel like I'd finally broken through something real," Archie says carefully. "About my life and what I should be trying to do with it. Music."

     Betty could do nothing but smile and nod. She didn't really know how to react, I mean this was the first time she was hearing about Archie's 'breakthrough' it sounded like more of a phase to her but she knew to keep her thoughts to herself.

     "Starting this year, tomorrow."

     "Amazing." Betty feigned excitement as Archie smiled a genuine smile.

     "Will you ask Ms. Grundy to tutor you?" Betty asked.

     "Uhh, no. I'm not sure, maybe." Archie crosses his arms.