| 08

Set Backs | 08

Set Backs | 08

━☄. *. ⋆━

Archie walked into his kitchen with Lilith trailing a little ways behind, watching Fred feed the family dog, Vegas.

"Hi, Mr. Andrews!" Lilith exclaimed, pretending to buck at Vegas before going to stand beside Archie.

"Hey, dad."

"Morning kids," Fred smirks. "So uh rough night?"

"You, uh, you heard that?" Archie grimaces.

"Thin walls, son."

Lilith stood up with a nervous smile, "I'm sorry, we didn't mean to wake you, Mr. Andrews... How much of that did you hear?"

"Relax, sweetheart, I didn't hear anything important," Fred chuckles, watching Lilith physically deflate. "What was so important at 2 in the morning?"

"Well, I got Archie's voicemails about what happened to the Blossom kid and I felt bad about not answering the phone, so I came over to make sure he was okay," Lilith answers truthfully. Missing the smile on Archie's lips.

"Mm, I've got to thank you for looking out for my son, but no more midnight house visits until the police catch whoever it was that shot that poor kid. I swear to god this town" Fred shakes his head in disappointment.

Both teenagers nodded in agreement.

Lilith pulled her vibrating phone from her jacket pocket, glancing at the contact name before turning to look at Archie, "I'm sorry, I have to take this."

"Alright-" Archie nods. "I'll wait for you outside."

"Sounds good!" Lilith says, walking into the living room for some privacy as she answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lily-" Lucifer starts.

"It is too early in the morning to grill me about the Serpents, daddy," Lilith interrupts.

"That's not what I called to talk to you about, daughter."

"Oh? I'm sorry, continue."

"Thank you. I want you to know that your initiation will be postponed."

"What? Why? For how long?"

"Just until this situation with Jason Blossom dies out or until they find his killer. The last thing we need is for the Blossoms to find a way to pin this on you, just for becoming a serpent. Right after they found his body, no less."

"What? But I came to town after he died, that should mean something, right?"

"That's exactly my point. Too soon after. Listen to me, I know this is unfair, but I want you alive and safe."

"I understand, daddy," Lilith mumbles.

"Good, have a good day in school. I love you," Lucifer says, waiting to hear her respond before hanging up.

──────

Archie sat on his porch steps scrolling through some pictures of Lilith on his phone when he saw a shadow overcast his phone.

Looking up, he stood up at the sight of Betty, "Walk me to school?"

Archie stared at her for a second before glancing at his house, "I'm sorry, Betty. I'm walking with someone else."

Betty deflates for a second before trying again, "Oh, well who is it? We can all walk together."

Archie hesitates on answering. Having not forgotten about their last conversation, "My girlfriend."

Betty blinks rapidly, "Girlfriend..?"

Just then, the front door of Andrew's household opens. Lilith comes out, closing the door behind her.

"Hey, sorry I made you wait for so long-Betty?" Lilith stops short at the edge of the porch. "What's all this about?"

"She was just-"

"I wanted to know if we could all walk to school together?" Betty cuts Archie off, plastering a smile on her face as she stares at Lilith.

"Oh?" Lilith watches as Archie nods before nodding slowly. "Alright then. Don't make me regret this."

Betty watches Lilith walk past her with Archie following close behind, her smile faltering for a second before she straightened up, jogging to catch up with the couple.

"I needed time to process," Betty spoke up, catching the couple's attention. The three teens walk down the road at their own pace. "To separate what my mom wants from what I want- or what I think I want."

Lilith squinted, confused at the blonde's words, but said nothing. Archie had told her what went down after the house party at the Blossom's house and figured this thing between the two childhood friends had nothing to do with her.

"Which is?" Archie turns to look at the blonde.

"My mom says I should never speak to you again," Betty states. "Either of you."

Lilith blinks rapidly, deciding it'd be best to bite her tongue and then call the blonde's mother out her name.

"But I- Even though you don't like me like that, I still want us to be friends... Just friends." Betty follows up quickly, noticing the look of irritation on Lilith's face.

"You do?" Archie grins.

"Yeah," Betty mirrors his grin.

"That's great, Betty, but I want you to know that Lily and I are a package deal now," Archie says seriously, giving Lilith's hand a reassuring squeeze. "And if you cannot respect that, then I understand."

"I know," Betty nods. "But I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt."

"And I'm sorry, Betty. I didn't plan for things to happen the way they did, to either of you," Archie mumbles, glancing at Lilith who stared straight ahead. "I just thought things would be better in the long run."

"And it will be!" Betty exclaims, flashing a smile at the couple. "Oh, and don't tell my mom that we're friends again."

"See now, was that so bad, Ginger?" Lilith smirks, happy that her boyfriend didn't lose his best friend.

"No, I guess not," Archie kisses the girl's cheek. The two walking off behind the blonde.

──────

901 WORDS

I separated the second part of this chapter since I didn't have time to finish it, so I do have a start on the next chapter!

I'm looking to buy a Ipad Pro 12.9 inch, 1tb (I'll settle for 512) new or refurbished if anyone knows any secret sports that sell them.

VOTE - COMMENT - ENJOY