| 11

what will you do? | 11

━☄. *. ⋆━

"Jug. What's up?"

Archie just got back from walking Veronica home and saw who he considered a friend- His best friend, sitting on his doorstep with a stern expression.

"What's up is, I'm watching you, Archie. The both of you," Jughead admits walking down the stairs. "First it was how squirrelly you acted in the hallway, then Lilith's meltdow-"

"Keep your voice down, Lilith's inside," Archie points, stepping forward.

"I'm trying to help you, dude. I'm trying to be your friend here. Even though we're not anymore. Now, what the hell is going on?" Jughead squints.

Archie couldn't lie and say he was beginning to panic. Just how much did Jughead see? How much does he know? He wouldn't have been asking if he knew anything important...right?

"I've told you before, Jughead," Archie avoids eye contact. "I- I could lose-"

"Oh, don't give me that! If this is about Lilith, then you need to get over it. This secret is clearly fucking her up, and if you cannot see that, then your feelings for her can't mean much."

"We were at Sweetwater River on July 4th. We heard something," Archie admits slowly, relieved to get this suffocating weight off his chest. "Lilith thinks it was fireworks...but-"

"It was a gunshot. The gunshot," Jughead says in disbelief. "Archie, you have to tell somebody! You both do."

He understood now. He understood all the secrets and the anger, everything was starting to make sense. A secret this big was too heavy for 2 teenagers to carry on their own... but they weren't just any teenagers. Jughead couldn't decide if that made things better... Or worse.

"I can't." Archie nearly raised his voice, stepping closer to Jughead. "You don't understand if people find out about Lilith-"

"A kid is dead, Archie! And not just any kid, alright?" Jughead hisses. "And-and you're worried about some summer fling?"

"Don't call her that!" Archie says loudly. "Okay, she's more than that. I really, really like her Jughead, and she really does care about me."

"Stab in the dark. I'm guessing she cares more about herself. She's the one telling you to keep your damn mouth shut, or-or am I wrong? Well?" Jughead questions.

Jughead was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He understood why Lilith was doing what she was doing, but that didn't make it right. Someone lost their kid, and she's worried about protecting some snakes... And Archie is so blinded by his own emotions, that he's willing to do anything to protect Lilith. Including turning a blind eye in a murder investigation.