Chapter 2

The bell had rang and everyone was waiting for Mr. Shue to arrive so that the Glee club meeting could start.  A few new faces were sitting around the choir room interested in auditioning.  Potential new recruits included a small timid girl with glasses named Sunshine,  one of the school bad girls Lauren (who Puck freely admits coerced her into auditioning) and a freshman cheerio named Jessie.  "Well, Mr. Shue is late again," Finn stated to no particular person.  "Is it really any surprise?" asked Santana,  "Besides, it wouldn't be Glee if he wasn't 5 to 15 minutes late."  Kurt surveyed the room and had a realization, "Rachel's not here either.  Same for Quinn.  It's one thing for Mr. Shue to be late, and Quinn's late to glee from time to time, but Rachel's never late should we be worried?" he asked.

Santana rolled her eyes, "I'm sure Rachel is with Mr. Shue talking his ear off about her ideas for sectionals, which is still a few months away."  Finn chuckled, "Rachel just wants to make sure we get all the way to nationals this year, and when we get to nationals, we'll win."  "As for Quinn, I don't really care right now, especially after she stole my position as head cheerio."  "Umm..." chimed in Jessie, "Last I heard, coach gave the spot back to Quinn after she found out about your, 'operation' over the summer."  Santana gave Jessie a death glare, "Shut up freshie!"

Mr. Shue walked in about 10 minutes late, he was about to start his lesson when he noticed that Rachel and Quinn were not present.  "Where's Quinn and Rachel?" he asked.  "We're not sure where Quinn is, but we all kind of thought Rachel would be with you." Kurt stated.  Before anyone could say anything else, Quinn walked in.  "Hey Quinn, have you seen Rachel by any chance?" Mr. Shue asked.  

Quinn gave a proud smile when Mr. Shue asked her about Rachel.  Santana and Brittany looked at Quinn and knew immediately that she was planning something.  "Actually Mr. Shuester, I have seen Rachel" stated Quinn.  "In fact, I would like to introduce you all to Mckinley's newest Cheerio, Miss Rachel Berry!"  Quinn pointed to the doorway and Rachel hoped in to the room, wearing a cheerleader uniform.  Rachel stood in front of everyone and everyone took in the fact that Rachel had joined the Cheerios.  Mercedes, Kurt and Finn had a shocked look on their faces, Puck had his mouth hanging wide open in a state of shock, Santana had a smile on her face (though she was trying to hide it from everyone) and Brittaney was smiling and gave a few silent claps.  Rachel looks over at Quinn and both can't help but smile at each other.  Quinn feeling proud of herself for getting Rachel a spot on the cheerios and Rachel glad that she gets a chance to not only be a cheerleader, but be a cheerleader and do it with her newest best friend Quinn.

"Rachel, not gonna lie, I like the look but, why did you join the cheerios?" Finn asked.  "Well, I really wasn't planning on joining the cheerios, but I was talking to Quinn earlier and she asked me if I'd be interested in joining." Rachel explained.  "She thought that I was joking, but then she realized I was being totally serious." Quinn chimed in.  "Her biggest concern was that Sue would say no and I can understand her concern there.  Luckily, I had some dirt on Sue."  "What kind of dirt?" asked Mercedes.  Quinn puts her finger to her lips in a "shhhh" motion.  Santana decided to speak up, "Well Rachel, I have to admit your choice of clothing needs some work, and your choice of friends right now leaves something to be desired," she said giving Quinn a pissed off look. "But I actually dig the cheerio look.  Yay."  "Thanks you Santana"

After glee club concluded, Finn caught up to Rachel before she left so he could voice his concerns with her.  "Rachel, if you joined cheerios so that you could be on the same social level as me, you know you didn't have to right?  I don't care if..." Rachel gave him a shocked look, "Whoa, wait a minute, you think I joined cheerios because I want to be on the same social level as you?"  "Well, yeah." he replied, "But you don't have to."  "Finn, did you not hear anything Quinn or myself said in there?  I joined Cheerios because Quinn asked me if I'd be interested in joining."  "So you're on the cheerios because Quinn asked you to join?"  "Yes!  Also because Quinn's my friend and I want to keep our friendship going strong." Rachel explained.  Finn shook his head in disbelief, "I got to be hones Rachel, I'm not so sure I believe that.  I think you're just using this as your opportunity to become one of the popular students and show the school that you and I are the schools 'it' couple." Finn said.

Rachel stood there absorbing his words completely shocked, "Wow,  I never realized you thought that little of me." Rachel gave Finn a disappointed look and then walked away.

Author's note:

The new character Jessie is going to become important later on in the story and Sunshine is staying with the New Directions in this story and not joining Vocal Adrenaline.