Chapter Six

I stared at this male. At his spotless clothes, immaculate hair, his clean smooth skin and suddenly I felt very self conscious.

I looked to our hands, which were still interlocked, and snatched my hand away.

"Is something wrong?" Tarquin asked, looking startled at my sudden reaction.

Ignoring his question entirely, I asked "What are you doing out here?"

"I came back to find you."

Despite my best efforts, my heart skipped a beat at his words. I forced myself to look away from him. My dagger was still inside of the thing's neck. I crouched down next to it and prepared to pull it out.

"Oh really? And why is that?" I pulled - hard - and the dagger slid out of its leathery neck.

"Because you interest me, and I haven't been interested in anyone for a long while." He whispered.

I started - I hadn't heard him come up behind me.

"Has anyone told you that you have the most beautiful wings?" He murmured. He stroked one finger down the outer curve of my wing.

A shiver ran down my spine. Damn it - why were wings so sensitive? He did it again, this time with the inner curve. My back arched ever so slightly.

"Stop that." I swatted at his hand. "You need to go back to wherever it is you came from, and I'll continue on my way."

"But then I'll probably never see you again." He sounded almost like a sad puppy.

"Exactly."

"I have a better idea." I looked at him in annoyance. "That cut on your leg looks pretty bad, and since you're insistent on living like a wild woman put in the woods, there's a pretty big chance it's going to get infected."

I frowned. I was not living like a wild woman.

"So why don't you come back to my home and I'll fix your leg."

I looked down at my leg. I hadn't realized how bad the cut was. It had seemed like a slight nick at the time, but now I was able to see that it was much worse. It actually might get infected if I left it untreated.

I stood there a moment, weighing my options. I could follow this seemingly sweet, handsome, and slightly creepy fae male back to his presumably warm, safe home. Or I could stay out here in the increasingly cold night, and risk dying of infection.

I chose the former.

"Fine - if I come back with you, you'll fix my leg right?"

"Amongst other things." He said, a sparkle in his eyes.

I hesitated - he seemed far too happy I was agreeing to come with him. After having an internal debate with myself that lasted half a second, I gave in. I figured that if he decided to try anything I could just stab him - that usually seemed to stop people from whatever it is they were trying to do.

"Let's go - but if you try anything I will murder you."

"I have no doubt." He told me, a half smile on his face.

He turned in the direction I guessed his house was in. I began limping along behind him. After several minutes of this, Tarquin stopped a second and looked over his shoulder at me.

"Want me to carry you?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "No."

"Well if I don't carry you, we won't make it there for another hour or two - at least."