Chapter Eleven

Our arrival into the Summer Court is what artists might call a "crash and burn" performance. I was hoping to have been gracefully delivered to the ground in the arms of the "big and strong" Cassian, but instead, there was a rather painful landing in which Cassian released me before we were completely on the ground and assumed that I would be able to support myself on my hurt leg. I, in fact, could not.

So that's how I ended up sprawled on the grass, reaching my hand up for someone to help me with a rather foul expression on my face.

"This is great, just great." I grumbled. Cassian grasped my hand and hoisted me off the ground.

"Sorry about that." He said, not looking very sorry at all.

I shot him a glare and brushed off my clothes. We had landed in the outer areas of the city, which consisted mainly of farmland and clusters of small houses. Even still, it was stunning. The serene quiet of the country side put me at ease, and, surprisingly, Cassian too. I looked sideways at his ruffled wings and carefree grin. It had been a while since I had seen him this way.

"So, where's Tarquin?"

Cassian crouched down and sat on a small boulder laying in the grass. "I'm not sure... the only thing he said was that he'd meet us at this spot. I wanted to land in the heart of the city so we'd be closer to the palace, but he said something about wanting to give us a tour." He sat there for a moment pondering. "Actually, the tour is probably just for you, I've already seen the entire city."

I kept forgetting that my cousin his had been alive for centuries and had probably already seen most of Prythian by now. "Well what did you think?"

He shrugged. "It's pretty I guess. It has some great views near the ocean."

"And...? Is that all?" I said in disbelief.

Cassian crossed his arms. "What were you expecting?"

"Maybe some more detail. I could have gotten more of a response out of a rock."

Cassian rolled his eyes and stood up. "That's all you're getting out of me. I'll save the rest for the tour."

"Fine." I huffed.

The rhythmic sound of hoofs against the road drew my attention away from Cassian and toward the commotion.

I saw Tarquin and Finnigan riding towards us on their steeds.

"Adria!" Finnigan called, sounding breathless, "It's amazing!"

I could hear the awe in her voice. Just like me, Finnigan's only portal to the outside world was through books, so actually being able to see all of this was incredible.

"I know right!" I smiled back.

They slowed their horses to a halt and dismounted gracefully.

"When did you become such an expert rider?" I teased.

She laughed. "I guess I was just born this way."

Tarquin walked over to us. "So are you ready for the tour?"

Did he even have to ask? "Of course." I said happily. "How long will it last?"

"Probably and hour... maybe two."

"Sounds perfect."

Tarquin brought the horses forward. I reached for the reins of the one with a stunning golden mane - it seemed to shine in the bright light of the sun.

Tarquin stroked her back. "Her name is Lampsi. It means "the shining"."

I smiled. "That's very fitting for such a majestic horse." I brushed Lampsi's mane. "Isn't that right girl?"