Cards on the table

After having shared a varied breakfast with Thor and his friends, they get called to Odin about a quest that needs attending. The group leaves immediately which leaves you alone in the castle with only Thor's family. You decide to go to the library to pick a novel and read outside in the Asgardian sun. It took you a while to find the library in this big maze of halls and rooms but you managed to get there. You spent almost a whole hour browsing the shelves filled with books on Asgardian tales and history, about myths and legendary warriors who had won many battles for Asgard's people. Your index finger slid over rows and rows of dusty spines until you stopped in your tracks when you saw a black leather book with a silver inscription that read 'Frostgiants of Jotunheim'. Thor's voice echoed in your mind, he told you Loki was from a planet with Frostgiants. Not being able to keep down your curiosity you pick the book from the wooden shelf. You gaze around the silent room as the bookshelf creaked when you lifted the heavy weight from it. A strange sensation crept up the back of your neck, as if someone had eyes on you. Peering around the library, you couldn't spot anything out of the ordinary but you stayed alert while you shuffled out of the book-filled room, holding tight to the reading material you borrowed.

Outside the palace, you find an empty rose garden. Here and there stood a carved stone statue resembling King Odin, his father Bor or other legends the people of Asgard were grateful to. In the middle of square garden there was a tall white bower. You thought it was the perfect roofed spot the read your book while still being able to catch some sun rays. Making yourself comfortable you stretched out on the stone wall of the gazebo and left one foot hanging over the edge. Using Thor's cape, you hadn't taken off since he lent it to you, you propped a makeshift pillow under your head and flipped open the book about Jotunheim.

The book told many stories of the history between Asgardians and Frost-giants, about wars and slaughters, of Laufey of Jotunheim and Odin of Asgard, two kings battling each other no matter what the cost. It had information about Frost-giants, how they can withstand the cold ten times easier than any other, how their skin is icy blue with swirling symbols all over and much more. Whilst you learned all this new information about the cold race and their wars, you thought back of how Loki didn't look anything like a Frost-giant. He looked just the same as anyone else on this planet, you thought. The look Loki had in his eyes the first evening you met came back into your mind. It was the look of a mischievous scamp but something else hid in those venomous green eyes. Was it intrigue? Curiosity? Something dangerous perhaps? As your mind roamed off in a daydream, you hadn't realized another person had joined your company. When you heard a man clearing his throat and a deep voice came out saying; "Making good use of our library are we?", you jumped up from your lounging position to quickly turn your head in the direction of the sound. Immediately, you recognized the slicked back black hair and eyes green as jade. It was Loki. A red color flushed your cheeks, you hoped he hadn't seen what you were reading as it would be difficult explaining why you took that particular book. Loki chuckled at the sight of you jumping up in surprise and added; "Seems like your mind was elsewhere.." You look at him shyly and answer; "Yes-, I mean no, I was just.. thinking of something." A playfulness sparks in Loki, he taunts you; "Thinking of something.. or someone?" He raises his brow and his rosy lips forms into a noticeable smirk. Your cheeks grow even redder and before you can think of a lie, Loki adds; "You know I can read minds, right (y/n)?" Widening your eyes at him you open your mouth but close it again as you are left speechless. Loki takes in your reaction and gives you a moment to think of an answer. Finally, you reply; "What was I thinking of then?", you tried to sound confident and taunting like him but you weren't sure it came across like you wanted it to. The green eyed prince acted out like he was thinking deeply. He rubbed the tip of his index finger over his chin and exclaimed; "Well, I didn't actually read your mind just now but if I were to guess who you were thinking of.. it would probably be a certain brother of mine? Am I close?" His gaze peered at you with impatience to find out if he was right. You let out a subtle sigh and awkwardly responded; "ha, you got me.", A feeling of relief calmed your nerves and inconspicuously you shoved the book under Thor's cape.