Chapter 1

"I'm afraid that you don't... feel the same way that I feel about you."

As soon as Chloe had said these words, she regretted them instantly. She would do anything to take them back. Lucifer was right. Michael got to her head and she shouldn't let that happen. She shouldn't let her fear control her actions. It seemed extremely unfair to try and coax Lucifer into admitting his feelings for her. After everything they've been through since the beginning of their partnership? What was she thinking? How could she not see that Michael wanted to drive a wedge between her and Lucifer?

She needed to explain it to him somehow but he didn't let her. And just as he started saying these long-awaited words, he was gone in a split second.

She blinked in surprise, thinking that her eyes were playing tricks on her. And then something sprang to her mind. It happened a couple of times before - in the deserted street with the young paparazzi Josh Bryant or that day at Lux when they found Jacob's body and Lucifer refused to come peacefully or with Charlotte's incident on the pier. She also recalled Amenadiel telling her he no longer had the ability to slow down time. She had a strong feeling something serious must have happened and that Michael may have been involved in it.

"Oh no, Lucifer!" She muttered under her breath.

She didn't have time to react though as suddenly a deafening sound of shattering glass could be heard. Someone screamed in utter horror. In a matter of seconds Chloe leapt to the opened door, went through it and stopped dead in her tracks. There was chaos everywhere. Everybody at the LAPD precinct was looking around wondering what had just happened.

"Have you seen Lucifer?" Chloe asked as she emerged from the evidence room into the bullpen. No one even paid attention to her, as people's frantic conversations grew louder by the minute.

Suddenly, she heard a child's wailing coming from the meeting room. She moved in that direction, fighting her way through the gathering crowd. She had a bad feeling with every step she took. Chloe froze in horror as she took in the picture. The whole floor was covered with broken glass and inside the room she could see a terrified Linda holding a crying Charlie in her arms. She immediately rushed inside to help her friend.

"Linda, are you all right? Is Charlie okay?" She asked her with growing concern.

Linda took a look at her son. "I think we're both fine. What happened?" She was trembling a bit.

"I have no idea." Chloe replied. "One minute I'm talking to Lucifer in the evidence room and the other he's no longer there with me. Is it possible that...," she lowered her voice so that nobody from the crowd could hear her, "Amenadiel slowed down time? And what are you guys doing here anyway?"

"Well, firstly, Amenadiel saved my life once with his powers of slowing down time but he said he had lost it. And secondly, he insisted on coming here to see Lucifer and to express his concerns about Charlie."

By seeing Chloe's puzzled expression, she quickly added. "I couldn't understand what he was so frightened about either. However, Lucifer sounded so eager to talk to you first that I made Amenadiel give his brother some time with you and wait here. Then he vanished into thin air, just like that. Have you got any idea where they can be?" Linda asked quietly.

Chloe shook her head. "I wish I knew what had happened here and where they are now." She answered honestly. "But I promise I'll do anything I can to find them." She assured her friend with a determined look in her eyes.

Linda gave Charlie a comforting kiss and a cuddle so he finally calmed down a bit. She smiled slightly at Chloe. She knew the woman was truthful and she kept her promises. It instantly reminded her of a certain Devil who happened to have the same treat.

"Thank you." Linda replied gratefully.

"That's okay. Come on, I'll drive both of you home. I don't think this place is safe for the baby right now." With that, Chloe steered them out of the room. They quickly left the precinct and headed for Chloe's car.

The ride to Linda and Amenadiel's house was rather quiet as both women were deeply lost in thought, trying to encompass the last events. Luckily, Charlie's cries subsided and soon the swaying of the moving car lulled him gently to sleep. They tried to get in touch with Lucifer or Amenadiel on their phones, however with no luck. Soon, they reached their destination and Chloe assisted them inside.

"Linda, can I help you with anything else?" Chloe asked politely.

Linda was holding her son on her hip. "No, don't worry about us. We'll be fine. Charlie just needs his rest." Linda tried to sound convincing. "Besides, I don't want you to waste any more time here. I'll keep phoning Amenadiel although it'll be probably unlikely for him to answer it in these circumstances." She added.

"Okay but if you need anything, just give me a call." Chloe replied with evident reluctance and hugged her friend.

Linda was touched by the gesture. "Of course. Thank you for everything." She whispered, hugging her back. She was so grateful that she had someone like Chloe that she could count on and she didn't feel so alone now that Amenadiel had been missing.

Chloe didn't want to leave them alone in the house but after a couple of seconds she stepped out of the embrace and started to walk away. Just as she was getting a hold of the door handle, Linda's question stopped her.

"Chloe... do you think they are all right?" It was evident her tone was full of concern.

Chloe turned around. "Of course," she responded, "they have to be." She smiled but Linda easily noticed that her smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Be careful and good luck." Linda added in a hushed tone as Charlie's eyes started to close and he was drifting off to sleep.

"I will. Thanks." With that Chloe finally left.

Both women knew perfectly well that Chloe would need all the luck in the world and that she wouldn't stop until she figured out what was going on.