Chapter 20

Little did Lucifer know that at the same time, Chloe was tossing and turning in her bed. A couple of hours before, she abandoned the hope for getting any sleep that night. She couldn't stop thinking about the whole situation they've been facing and what changes it definitely would bring. She was worried about Lucifer. After they've been told about the pregnancy, he has been acting weird and hasn't contacted her since he had dropped her off at her place.

She was lying in bed, thinking how he was doing and wondering if he would come the next day. At around eight, after having managed to sleep maybe for two hours at best, Chloe left the bed and went to take a shower. She felt exhausted, feeling and looking quite similar to the time when she was experiencing those nightmares. Then she moved downstairs to the kitchen to make breakfast but as soon as the smell of scrambled eggs filled her nostrils, she had to dash for the toilet and emptied her stomach. She was feeling awful, how could she cope with that morning sickness at work – either at the precinct or what's even worse – at the crime scene?

With Trixie, she was so lucky that it wasn't a problem at all. She was spared other typical pregnancy ailments too. But this time, it could be different. She wished she could talk to somebody, most of all Lucifer, but also Linda. She went through this and was doing wonderfully fine with Charlie. However, she felt it should be their mutual decision – her and Lucifer's – to tell everyone they were going to become parents.

At the same exact moment she heard a beep on her phone. She went to see who it was. It turned out the text was from Lucifer who apologized and wrote that he was going to meet her for the ultrasound at the hospital. She let out a breath of relief that he finally contacted her. She quickly drank some coffee and left the house.

When Chloe got there, she tried to find Lucifer but there was no trace of him anywhere so she went straightaway to doctor Porter's office. He gave her a welcome smile and told her to lay down and relax but he easily noticed that his patient was tense and far from being relaxed. He just hoped that the image of the baby would calm her down.

They talked for a short time and then he lifted her blouse a little, applied some gel and just as he was about to touch her belly with a probe, there was a knock on the door and when it opened, they both saw Lucifer standing there. His hair was tousled and he was quite shaken up. Chloe instantly sat up on the examination table.

"Lucifer, what happened? Are you okay?" She asked with concern.

"Yes, I'm fine." He replied and rushed to her, getting a hold of her hands. "I'm sorry for being late. There was a car accident on my way here and I ended up getting stuck in a traffic jam. Did I miss it?"

Chloe chuckled and shook her head. "No, you didn't miss anything."

"You have perfect timing, Mr. Morningstar. We were just about to start." The doctor spoke. "Shall we continue?" He asked, looking at Chloe and motioning for her to lie down again.

She complied and tried to get comfortable. Lucifer sat by her side, holding her hand during the whole procedure. Doctor Porter put the scanner to her belly and all of them focused on a small monitor. The black and white image that appeared there seemed blurred to both Lucifer and Chloe. At first, they couldn't notice anything but then the doctor pointed to a small white spot of a size of a tiny bean. It was hard to believe that something so small would soon become a full grown child.

Chloe sniffled and Lucifer gazed at her – tears of happiness were streaming down her face. Their eyes met and they both shared a knowing smile.

"It's true. We're having a baby." She whispered to him.

"Yes, that's really true." Lucifer replied.

Just a moment ago, he was thinking the same thing. He realized at that time that this small spot on the monitor has already changed their lives forever.