Tuesday, April 13, 2013

4:02pm

It's been over half an hour since the two first stepped foot into the library. Adalia already regretted her decision to help Caden with his book report.

"You are helpless," she said shaking her head. She placed her palms on both sides of her head and squeezed.

"It's not my fault. When I read over a long period of time, the words start to jumble up and not make any sense," he told her.

Her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion, and her shoulders moved back into a half-shrug. She looked at him weirdly. He wasn't making any sense.

"Listen, I have no idea how that happens, but you really need to finish the book in order to start the report." He nodded in understanding.

"I've never finished a book before." Her eyes nearly popped out of her skull.

She opened her mouth to speak, but couldn't think of the right thing to say. Books were everything to Adalia.

Caden glanced at her face before looking away. He tapped his index finger against the table. Even the side view of his face had Adalia in a trance. The dark curls fell onto his forehead when he looked down at his lap. She was tempted to reach out and brush them away. Her hand extended out and she froze as she realized what she was doing. She shifted in her seat and looked away from the cute boy beside her.

"Read it to me," he abruptly announced. Her head turned to look at him. She was caught off guard by his oblivion to her previous action.

"Adalia."

"Oh. Right." She thought about what he just said.

"Wait! No."

"Please." He turned in his seat. His entire body faced her, and she blinked a few times.

He stared at her. She shifted in her seat and looked everywhere but his face. Her eyes traveled from the librarian, to the couple who thought they were successful at being sneaky, and lastly, to the sad boy. She nearly gasped when she saw him.

Under his left eye, was a large blur of purple, blue, and brown. Clearly a bruise. Obviously, a punch. She studied his figure. Lanky arms. Sad, puppy dog eyes. Blonde hair that reached his eyebrows. He looked so sad.

"Adalia." She flinched and looked back at Caden.

He cracked a smile. She smiled back with her thoughts remaining on the boy who needed help. "You always zone out," he said.

He even playfully kicked her chair. She kicked his. He kicked hers. She accidentally kicked his shin.

He jumped more in surprise than hurt. She covered her mouth with her hand to muffle her laughter, her previous thoughts leaving her head. Her shoulders shook even more when he sent her a glare.

When the two settled down, Caden went back to being serious.

"If you read it to me, I'll get it done sooner and have more time to write the report." Adalia rolled her eyes.

"Why not just buy the stupid audio book version?" she asked with her arms raised.

He glanced away, shook his head, and looked into her eyes. The intensity of his stare made her uneasy, so she playfully crossed her arms and stared back.

"Your voice is really pretty."

She coughed. Her arms fell and she turned in her seat to no longer face Caden.

Silence took over. Uncomfortable would be an understatement.

"Listen-

"I-

Caden smiled. Adalia looked down at her hands in her lap and played with her thumbs.

"You go first," Adalia said, still staring at her hands.

"Listen, forget I said anything and I'll get the audio book. Thanks for your time." He stood up and started to pack his belongings.

Adalia jumped out of her seat.

"Wait. Do you really think my voice is nice?" she asked. He abruptly stopped. He grinned before giving her a stiff nod.

"I'll read it to you," she told him.

His eyebrows raised. "Really?"

Adalia smiled. "It's easy," she said with a shrug. The compliment did something to her. She felt the need to help him with anything right then and there. Still smiling, he rolled his eyes.

They both sat down.

Adalia read.

She felt weird and partly stupid for giving in because of a cheesy comment.

She read to him until the librarian told them it was time to leave.

When she handed the book back to Caden, her fingers brushed against his. She debated whether or not to kiss his cheek goodbye.

She chose not to.

Tuesday, April 13, 2013

10:54 pm

Adalia sat in bed that night and wished she would've kissed the cute boy's cheek.

Tomorrow, she told herself.

*****************

Author's note

OMG IF ONLY SHE KISSED HIS CHEEK

Next chapter, though.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Please read, vote, comment, share, I don't care.

I just hope you enjoy and love it!!

Yours truly,

rose