Chapter 7: Letters and Learning

It had been almost 6 years since Harry had first gone to Diagon Alley. Since then, many things had happened - for one, Harry was in his second year of high school. After the Dursley's could no longer lock him in a cupboard for doing better than Dudley, Harry had immediately started skipping grades. When he finished middle school, homework started piling up and he no longer had the time to study ahead, finish the homework, and work on his magic. Actually, that was another thing he had been doing. Harry had perfected quite a few different spells, but he mostly focused on learning runes.

For some reason, his magic was very different from the wizards and witches he had read about. It was more unruly, and it didn't do want he wanted to all of the time. He suspected it just hadn't fully matured yet, and when he got older the better he would preform. 

Since he didn't know how to defend himself as well with magic, Harry had begun learning martial arts and gymnastics. It had helped somewhat. It would be a lot better with magic reinforcement though. 

Back to the present. After getting dressed and grabbing a slice of toast, Harry had run out the door to get onto the school bus. He didn't particularly want the Dursley's to drive him to school, and they didn't want to take him. So it was a win win, really. Harry slipped into a seat, frowning as he looked around him. High school was a constant reminder of how short he was. Not only because everyone was older than him, but because he was also short for his age. Harry was only 50 inches, around 4 feet, tall. It was a constant annoyance. He could sometimes feel Dudley smirking at him behind his back, silently mocking his height. It was a real test of patience to not kill him in his sleep when he got home.

Harry's school wasn't too far away. He hitched a ride on the middle school bus, and got off with those kids. From there, he walked a few blocks to get to Thomas Jefferson's High School for Science and Technology. It was a great school, but when his Hogwarts letter arrived he would be out of there in a flash. Thankfully though, he would leave with basic knowledge of the muggle world and their tech. But really, when given a choice between that and magic? Sorry, but Hogwarts is the way to go. 

School was mind numbingly boring. The minutes felt like hours, especially in science class. Before, science had been his favorite subject, but the teacher was terrible. Ms. Smith was quite possibly the worst teacher ever. She spoke in a constant monotone, and was always explaining the easiest thing to them.

"Do you remember how the earth spins? Well, let me go over it again, just to make sure you remember." It was insulting, really, how condescending she was. 

When school ended, Harry went to a bubble tea cafe down the block to get a snack and do homework. This was his entire routine, what he did everyday before going home and practicing his runes and doing his extracurricular activities. But today was different. When Harry got home, the first thing he noticed was the pale faces of Petunia and Vernon. He puzzled over this as he walked up the stairs to his room.

Oh. He realized. I'm turning eleven soon. Hogwarts, and all that. My letter must be coming soon. And come soon it did. The next day, Harry came down to see a red wax sealed letter in the pile of mail that arrived normally. He picked up his letter, reading it as he walked towards the kitchen. 

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.Term begins on September 1st. We await your owl by no later than July 13th.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM:

First-year students will require:

Three sets of plain work robes(black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk 

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling 

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric SwitchOne 

Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida 

SporeMagical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger 

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS

ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

Yours sincerely,
Lucinda Thomsonicle-Pocus Chief Attendant of Witchcraft Provisions

First things first. Buy an owl. Why did they use owls anyway? Did they not have a faster postal service? Harry sighed. Wizards aren't the smartest, are they?