Mistake

One month later...

--Michael's POV--

There's nothing worse than not having the one you love by your side when you need them most. But Mika has a job to do and I know that. I would never ask him to sacrifice his career for me. As much as I need him, I won't.

Thankfully his family has been here and have been more than supportive since I started chemo last month. Mama has been splitting herself in two by spending a few days on tour with Mika and a few days at home with me. Ezra and Fortune have taken the twins almost everyday.

I can barely get out of bed to goto the bathroom. Jacob moved back in, so he's had to help me with a lot of things. I fell in the shower the other day and couldn't get up, thankfully he was home.

This round of chemo has been hell. I've never thrown up so much in my life. I've never felt as weak as I do. I've never felt so helpless.

Maybe this is it.

--Jacobs POV--

"Dad, do you want to go out back with me? Catch some fresh air?" I ask my father whose been lying in bed all day.

He just stares at me. It kills me to see him like this. So, helpless.

"Come on," I tell him as I help him sit up.

He winces in pain as I help stand him up.

"Ankle still bothering you?"

He just shakes his head. He's lying. All he does is try to hide the pain he's in. It sucks, everything.

"Melissa's coming over for dinner," I tell him as I sit him in the chair outback.

I take the seat next to him.

"Thanks for getting me that date with her. She's amazing."

Mika should be here. He needs to be here to see how bad he's getting. I'm afraid that he won't make it through the rest of his chemo.

"Jacob," he says and then paused to catch his breathe. "I need to get off of this."

"Dad, no-"

"Jacob, I can't. I don't want to spend my last bit of time sicker than I have to be. I want to be able to spend time with everyone. I can't do that if I'm hanging over a toilet half the day."

I just nod my head. He's right. And it's his decision.

Before I can give a proper response my phone goes off.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Jacob Scott?"

"Yes?" I respond, confused.

"This is Dr. Chad, your fathers new doctor."

"Okay?"

"I need you to bring your father in," Dr. Chad tells me.

"Okay, is it bad?" I ask worriedly.

"Yes and no," he replies.

After getting stuck in traffic for over an hour we finally arrive at the hospital. My dad hasn't stopped shaking since we've arrived.

"Mr. Scott, Dr. Chad will see you now," a receptionist tells us.

We both take a seat in the chairs in front of Dr. Chads desk. He greats us both with a smile.

"So, you're probably wondering why I called you in today.." he starts.

We both nod.

"Yup..," I reply.

"Well, Michael I was going over your scans from your initial visit a month ago. I found something strange," my father and I both exchange confused looks. "The scan that was taken the day that you came in was misplaced."

"What do you mean?" I interrupt.

"The scan that was taken that day was accidentally swapped with the scan from the last time his tumor had reappeared."

"And.." my father and I both say at the same time.

"I'd like to get another scan to confirm, but Michael last month you were tumor free."

"What?" my father asks angrily.

"As far as I know you don't have a tumor."

"So, all that chemo he did was for nothing?! He could've died!" I shout.

"Yes. He could have. Which is why his original doctor was released as of two hours ago. Several others were let go as well that were involved in the swap and for not doing another scan before the chemo."

"That's it?!" I shout again. "This is fucking ridiculous!"

"Jacob, stop!" My father says. "Can we do the scan today?" He asks.

"Yes. That is the plan. I know nothing can make up for this terrible mistake, but we do apologize."

"Thank you," my father says as he shakes the doctors hand.

I'm beyond pissed right now. He could have died. I just can't believe how my dads taking it so lightly.

"Jacob," my father starts in the way home. "I'm tumor free. No more chemo. Okay?"

I nod my head.