Chapter Four: Hanging Out

Tracey POV

After my argument with Ro I went and took a shower and cleared my head. I needed anything to calm me down at that point. Now that I'm calmer I've realized I may have gotten a little too sensitive and quick to get mad at Ro. I know she wouldn't say anything to purposely hurt me. But even though she wouldn't say anything to hurt me, I know there is something she's not saying.

The reasons she gave for me not to hang out with Nina were weak and not well thought out. You can tell she was clearly lying. I mean come on something is up. In less than 24 hours, Ro has changed her mind completely. She's gone from trying to get me to spend time with a girl to now trying to keep me from spending time with that same person. I definitely want to know what happened within this time frame. But not right now.

Nina said she wanted to show me around campus a little more and maybe later we can catch a movie. "Why did you choose to study chemistry?", she asks. We are now taking a stroll in the southern part of the campus. I'm pleasantly surprised she remembered what I'm studying. I look at her and she gives me a soft smile. "My mama is very sick and has been for awhile now. I want to be an epidemiologist as a way to help understand heart disease and diabetes more.", I tell her.

"But I also didn't want to go far from mama and my little brother Chris. So I decided to come here and get a bachelors in chemistry first.", I continue. "So what about epidemiology?", she then asks. I love how she's really interested in what I'm saying. She has a an intense look on her face as she listens attentively. "I will eventually transfer to another college, that has a epidemiology program. But my main reason for staying close is cause of my little brother. He's only 2 and I want to help mama out as much as possible while he's younger and a real handful.", I explain.

She smiles. "Ro is gonna study law eventually so she can easily find a school to transfer to, once I leave. So she'll stay around here near them. He'll be 4 and a little easier to handle.", I add. Her smile faded awhile ago when I said Ro's name. She then says, "I see you guys are very close." She then adds, "Close enough as to where she's going adjust her own future to help you and your mom out." She then asks, "So are you guys tight like sisters or something?"

I shake my head no. "We have a tight bond because of our history together. So she grew into my best friend from that.", I recount. "She sees my mom like her mom because of all that has happened but I don't see her like my sister or anything.", I add. She gets a weird look on her face. "Does Bennett have a law program?", she asks. It's like she's putting pieces together. "No.", I respond. So why is she here instead of a program at another school."

I do an inner sigh, cause I know how this is gonna sound. "Kinda for me.", I say. I can tell she becomes deep in thought. "So she's here specifically for you?", she questions. "I guess you can say it like that.", I respond sheepishly. She sighs. "Well I really wanted to leave my house, got bad memories there. So she said she would come with me.", I continue to explain. She just nods.

She eventually asks, " You wanna get lunch?" I smile. She didn't let any of what I said phase her.  We spend a long time talking and eating. Then see more of the campus and talk. We talk so much we lose track of time. "Maybe we should go back to the dorms", she suggests. I get a confused look. I thought you said you wanted to go to the movies.", I say disappointed. She smiles seductively and bites her lip. Her whole demeanor changes.

"Oh we're still going to the drive in. I just wanted to change and get some blankets. I shrug and follow her lead. I look down mostly, trying to avoid looking at her mouth and eyes. Her look had turned into something just as sexy as her biting her lip. Once we're ready we don't travel far. She takes me to a semi secluded hilltop but you can still see the screen of the King drive in clear as day.