Chapter 1: 15 Years Later

This is Berk. It snows nine months of the year and hails the other three. My village, in a word, sturdy. I saved Berk fifteen years ago from Drago and his Bewilderbeast. I still wait for them to come back. But for now I've been convincing islands that dragons are kind amazing creatures and I fight those who don't believe me. I have to save the dragons from going extinct as they did thousands of years ago. But now, I train my daughter into learning my ways. The only problem is...she doesn't have a dragon.

Jon's POV

"Hey Sarah! You coming?!" I called from the bottom of the stairs.

She burst through the door and ran down the steps almost barreling into me, "Yeah! Where are we going?"

"We still need to find you a dragon remember?" I told her as we walked into the village in search of Shadow.

She looked down at her feet, "I know...all of the other teens have one. And every dragon we find just doesn't feel right when I try to bond with it. I need to have that spark, ya know?"

I nodded, "I have a theory on what kind of dragon you need but I don't know how to find one..."

She looked up at me expecting an answer.

Shadow came bounding up and nudged me ready to fly. I jumped on.

Sarah gasped. "Oh..."

I nodded knowing she understood, "Come on." I held out my hand and she climbed on wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Don't you have chiefly duties to tend to?" She asked as we took off into the sky.

"I got up early this morning and did them so we could spend the whole day together. You need a dragon Sarah, it's crucial." I explained.

"I know Dad." She mumbled.

"I want to fly over Outcast island, make sure Alvin isn't stirring up any more trouble." I said. "Hang on."

Shadow pulled into a dive so we could get close to Outcast island. As we flew over the island Sarah gasped gripping my waist tighter.

"Can't...breath..." I gasped out. "What's wrong?"

"We have to go down there Dad." Sarah said loosening her grip.

"What?! Why?! We can't!" I said.

"Dad it's down there..." She whispered.

"What's down there?" I asked.

"The Night Fury..." She whispered.

Silence.

"The last one. Alvin has the last one." She mumbled with fear in her voice.

Shadow stopped and hovered in the air at the shock of her words.

"Oh my gods..." I said.

"We need to get down there Dad! We can't just leave it there! The Night Fury is supposed to be my dragon. We're destined to be together." Sarah explained.

"I know but we can't go down there alone Sarah. We'll be captured or killed!" I yelled.

"We can't bring a whole armada either!" She said clearly remembering the scars I have all over my torso.

"You're right..." I gave up. "We'll come back tonight. Alone."

I turned Shadow around so we could get ready for our mission.