Chapter 7

Sarah's POV

The sun rose over the horizon and Berk came into view.

I sighed with relief, "Home..."

People gasped as Lightning landed in the center of the village.

"Night Fury..."

"What? It can't be..."

"I thought Shadow was the last one..."

My mother shoved through the crowd, "Sarah!!!!"

"Mom!!!!" I jumped off Lightning and ran over to her squeezing her in a hug.

"I missed you so much!" She exclaimed.

Karena one of the healers tapped my shoulder, "Come on I need to make sure you're alright."

"I'm fine." I grunted. "Lightning saved my life."

Jon walked next to me, "We need to talk about that."

We walked into the Great Hall and Karena cleared everyone out, "Your father told me about the whipping. Lift up your shirt so I can see your back."

I gave my dad a look and he just nodded. I pulled up my shirt only exposing my back. Karena gasped. My dad walked around and looked at my back.

Karena muttered, "Impossible...I thought you said she was whipped."

"He may not have told you everything..." I said.

"Sarah..." He warned.

"I told you. Lightning saved my life." I said.

Karena spoke softly, "We can't tell anyone about this. It'll only make people want your dragon more. How does it work?" She asked looking at me.

"I don't know. The first time I was whipped Alvin knocked her out and when she came to she crawled over and started licking my back. The pain and blood went away. All that's left are scars." I explained pulling my shirt down.

"What happened to Lightning's tail?" My dad asked.

"I think it was when the bola wrapped around her tail and it must've ripped off her left tailfin." I said shrugging. "Next time something happens to you Dad see if Shadow can do the same."

He nodded, "Come on let's go for a flight."

He dragged me off the table and out the door.

My mother ran up, "Where are you two going?!"

"A flight." My dad answered bluntly.

"The last time that happened Sarah got captured." Ally argued.

"Technically the first time was a flight. The second time was rescuing Lightning. Two completely different events." I pointed out.
My dad cut in before my mom could speak, "Besides she has Lightning now."

"Who's missing a tailfin!!!" Ally yelled.

Lightning growled at my mother behind me. "I know how to fly her Mom! It's easy!"
"I'll be right with her! She'll be fine!" My dad said.

"You don't know that!" Ally said.

"I'm going for a flight whether you like it or not!" I screamed getting on Lightning.

"I won't allow it! You could be captured again!" At those words she stabbed her axe through Lightning's prosthetic tailfin before Lightning had the time to react.

Lightning snarled. "Let's go!" I demanded.

Lightning took off running through the village into the forest furious that she couldn't fly. I let the tears come. Why does my mom not grant the freedom I deserve? I save my father's life and this is what I get? Maybe I should leave...